The definition of home staging was invented by Barb Schwartz, an ordinary realtor from the American hinterland back in the 1970s. It was Barb who became the world’s first stager and a very successful businessman thanks to her innovation. Our tips site will tell you about the principles of home staging and how they apply..
The word staging from English can be translated as “staging”, “performance”, “staging”. That is, in combination with the word home, it turns out “staging-staging in the house.” This fully explains and shows the tasks of home staging:
- Turn illiquid housing into high-demand.
- Make a “killed” apartment pleasant.
- Ordinary housing is amazing.
In short, home staging is the preparation of a house or apartment for rent or sale. The owner goes out of their way to raise the price and attract buyers or tenants.
Home staging is always based on two main principles:
- You need to prepare a home for sale or rent for minimal money. So that the investment will definitely pay off. In Russia, pre-sale preparation, according to the statistics of realtors, usually costs from 100 to 150 thousand rubles. Apartments that are planned to be rented and sold usually spend the same amount. This is logical, because rent will be profitable due to increased payment for a long time, sale – once, but the amount will immediately be tangible. Therefore, the return on home staging in both cases is quite comparable..
- Preparing a home for rent or sale should take a minimum of time. Everything needs to be done quickly in order to close the deal and make a profit as soon as possible. Home staging is always a short-term project that does not drag on for months.
Based on these two principles, home staging usually includes:
- Rubbish cleaning. Many owners will be surprised, but the impression of a cluttered, untidy apartment often prevents it from selling or renting it profitably. Therefore, home staging always begins with cleaning up everything that is unnecessary and spoils the impression. A striking example will be grandmother’s carpets with bald spots on the floor, a rickety sofa, a sideboard with a broken glass door. And remove all personal belongings in advance, why show them to potential buyers or tenants.
- Replacement of everything that is worn out and beyond repair. For example, a dripping faucet in the kitchen. Or a broken boiler. There is no need to leave all this to new tenants, broken household appliances will definitely ruin the impression of an apartment or house.
- Redecorating. Yes, not capital, it will definitely not pay off soon, even when renting an apartment in the capital. Repainting the walls, updating the wallpaper is good. You can, for example, paint the facades of an old kitchen from MDF, the portal wrote how to do it yourself.
- Replacement of old, possibly broken or just outdated fixtures.
- Replacement of old curtains and other textiles.
- Renovation of the sealant at the junction of the sink and wall, as well as the bath and the tiles.
- General cleaning of plumbing that should shine like new. If you cannot achieve this effect, the sink and toilet should be replaced..
Surprisingly, as the practice of realtors shows, a good repair when selling an apartment or renting it out does not pay off. But competent home staging is always there. Moreover, many times. There are reviews and stories on the network that the pre-sale preparation of an apartment at a price of 150 thousand rubles allowed to increase the price of housing by 300 thousand rubles at least. That is, the costs did not just pay off, but brought a pleasant profit..
Do not confuse home staging with apartment decoration! When decorating a home, owners add details and accessories that they like and express their personality. In the case of home staging, the main task is to create a versatile interior that will appeal to the vast majority of potential buyers and tenants. Clean, tidy, minimalistic, functional, you can live comfortably – that’s the kind of experience you need to strive for.