Not only baths can be acrylic. Today, many manufacturers offer acrylic furniture, which is in high demand. Our advice site decided to figure out what the advantages and disadvantages of furniture items made from this modern material.
Acrylic is a high quality pure plastic made primarily from petroleum. According to experts, this is the most successful and high-quality of all types of plastic, devoid of the disadvantages of cheap materials. Other names for acrylic are plexiglass, acrylite, Perspex, polymethyl acrylate.
Transparent acrylic furniture looks very similar to glass furniture, the pros and cons of which the portal wrote in detail. However, acrylic furniture is devoid of some of the disadvantages of glass:
- Acrylic scratches can be buffed. And they appear less often;
- Furniture items weigh less;
- More possibilities for design, creating furniture of very interesting, including organic form;
- Acrylic is very durable, much stronger than even tempered glass. So the furniture is completely safe and can be safely used in the children’s room..
Acrylic furniture does not have to be transparent, like glass. It can be of a wide variety of colors and shades, combined with wooden slabs, protecting them from external influences.
There are actually many advantages of acrylic furniture:
- Environmental Safety. This is a completely harmless plastic;
- Easy to care for. Any contamination can be easily washed off, you can use ordinary glass products;
- Antibacterial properties;
- Ability to withstand high temperatures. Thanks to this, acrylic can be used to make, for example, worktops, including for kitchen tables;
- A variety of shapes and colors, which allows you to choose furniture for any interior;
- Quite affordable price, especially in comparison with solid wood furniture.
The disadvantages of acrylic furniture include:
- Excessive gloss. Such pieces of furniture can give glare no worse than mirror ones. To many, such glossy facades, including in kitchens, seem too bright and intrusive;
- Yes, it’s easy to look after. But you will have to erase fingerprints often, they will be clearly visible;
- Despite all the advantages of acrylic, it remains plastic. And many homeowners find such furniture more suitable for an office rather than a cozy home. However, this is already a subjective opinion..
Objectively, acrylic furniture has more advantages than disadvantages. Of course, not everyone likes the very features of plastic furniture, but in general, this is a budgetary and durable option for arranging a functional interior.