Siding is becoming an increasingly popular facade material, bypassing traditional finishing materials such as plaster and paint. Siding has many advantages, but it should be remembered that there are several varieties of this material. Let’s compare the pros and cons of the most popular types of siding.
Let’s start with metal siding, which has the following benefits:
- Easy to care for. The facade, sheathed with metal siding, can simply be washed with a hose or with a household sink, it will shine again and completely get rid of dust.
- Easy to transport and install.
- Metal is a durable material, so siding will also protect the house from wind, rain, external influences.
- Non-flammable, environmentally friendly material.
- There is a large selection of options, including imitating block house, wood.
- Metal siding conceals wall irregularities well.
Cons of metal siding:
- If a scratch appears on the surface, this will lead to corrosion, that is, the service life will be sharply reduced.
- On metal siding, with a strong impact, dents can appear, which can also cause the spread of rust..
- When it rains, the facade decoration will emit booming sounds, the material is “loud”.
- In winter, the metal cools down quickly, and in the summer, the sun can simply heat the facade, especially if the color is dark. This can negatively affect the microclimate at home..
Prices for metal siding, which we could find on the net, average 285–357 rubles per square meter.
Having appeared in Canada and the USA, vinyl siding is gradually conquering the Russian market. This finishing material has the following advantages:
- Does not burn, non-toxic.
- Withstands temperature drops from minus 50 to plus 50 degrees.
- Corrosion, rotting is not afraid.
- There is a rich selection of shades and profiles.
- Easy to mount.
- Dust on vinyl siding is usually not very visible, so it is not necessary to thoroughly wash.
- Unlike metal siding, it does not conduct electricity.
- Weighs less than metal.
The disadvantages of vinyl siding include:
- It melts at too high a temperature, so it is better not to make bonfires near the house.
- The strength is less than that of metal, you can damage the facade finish by an accidentally thrown stone, after which you will have to change this area.
- When heated, vinyl siding may expand slightly, so that an accurate calculation is required during installation, you will have to leave gaps. In this case, too large gaps can violate the integrity of the finish..
- At temperatures below minus 20 degrees, vinyl siding becomes fragile, the declared range of up to minus 50 can only withstand more expensive types, specially produced by manufacturers.
The cost of vinyl siding can be very different, it all depends on the manufacturer, characteristics, thickness. The price can vary from 209 to 814 rubles per square meter.
The newest of all materials presented by us. There are few reviews so far, but the advantages declared by the manufacturer clearly deserve attention:
- Acrylic siding, unlike vinyl siding, can withstand temperatures up to plus 80-85 degrees. Moreover, the lower limit is also minus 50 degrees.
- Acrylic siding is also available in a wide variety of shades, allowing you to experiment with façade designs.
- Stronger than vinyl, about 30-50% higher impact and damage resistance.
- Is not afraid of chemicals, so it can be washed using synthetic formulations.
- Acrylic siding is more UV resistant, does not fade longer.
The cons of acrylic siding, honestly, we have not yet been able to find. Again, there are still significantly fewer reviews than for the first two types. The price per square meter of acrylic siding starts at 375 rubles, so it is more expensive than the most inexpensive types of vinyl, but is quite comparable to high-quality imported types. Manufacturers give it up to 50 years of warranty, but there are similar statements for both vinyl and metal siding..
As for the ventilation of facades, all three types of siding provide such an opportunity; you can also carry out insulation.
In general, judging by the declared characteristics, acrylic siding is superior to its “colleagues” and will last longer. However, experts note that siding should be chosen based on the operating conditions of the material..