The main difference between brick veneer technology is fake brickwork. If regular cladding bricks are part of the house wall, then thin brick veneer plates are glued to the finished wall, which can be built from another material. In general, we can say that brick cladding allows you to perfectly imitate real masonry, but at the same time serves not as a building, but as a decorative element.
If the standard brick thickness is 65-138 millimeters, then the thickness of the facing slabs ranges from 6 to 22 millimeters.
Brick veneer technology can be used not only for facade cladding. This is an option for finishing one of the walls of the house, because it is not always possible to use real brick, and many people like brickwork. Thin brick is great for cladding fireplaces, kitchen aprons, as a moisture-resistant material, it can be used to highlight one of the areas of the bathroom, as well as as a floor covering, for example, in the hallway.
In addition to its wide range of applications, brick veneer technology has other advantages:
- A wide selection of shades of thin bricks, which allows you to choose the best one for your facade or interior.
- Simplicity of masonry – the plates are attached to special glue, in general, the installation process is comparable to finishing with ordinary tiles, you can handle it yourself, especially when it comes to a small section of the wall.
- The weight of thin bricks is small, they will not create an additional load on the foundation, even if the entire facade is coated without exception..
- A layer of brick cladding allows you to additionally insulate the wall, improve sound insulation in the room.
- The cladding turns out to be durable, will last a long time, if necessary, an imitation of a real brick wall can be simply repainted – the look will change dramatically due to little effort and minimal costs.
- “Brick veneer” will protect the facade from weathering, it is a more reliable coating than just painted plaster, which will have to be frequently updated and repaired.
However, we cannot fail to mention the disadvantages of brick veneer:
- You will have to level the surface on which they will be attached to thin bricks. Remember how walls or floors are prepared for laying ceramic tiles? The process is similar.
- You will need a special adhesive, which leads to additional costs.
- Careful sealing of the seams between the individual plates is required so that the cladding resembles masonry as much as possible, and the surface is fully protected.
- Quite high cost of finishing, especially if you hire specialists.
As for the price of thin facing bricks, it can vary from 350 to 2000 rubles per square meter. For facades, you should choose a “brick veneer” designed specifically for external work, usually such a facing is more expensive.