Almost all owners of private houses have a dream of their own bathhouse on the site. And often they choose the frame construction technology. Our advice site will find out what the advantages and disadvantages of frame baths, so that you make the right choice from all construction options.
Let’s start with the benefits of frame baths that make them a popular choice among homeowners:
- Low weight. The heaviest element of such a bath will be a board with a section of 40×100 or 50×150 millimeters. Sometimes a timber with a section of 150×150 millimeters is used, but still the walls are much easier than in the case of using bricks or blocks. As a result, the load on the foundation turns out to be small and it is possible to save money on it, not to strengthen it, use piles and a lightweight construction option.
- It is heated quickly and keeps warm for a long time. True, this advantage works only if everything was done strictly according to the technology, the owners did not save on insulation.
- It is possible to build in winter, because there are no “wet” processes, mortar, as in the case of laying bricks and blocks, is not required. Therefore, it is quite possible to build a bathhouse for personal use by spring. The only caveat is that it is advisable to lay the foundation before the onset of frost.
- Construction speed. Everything happens quickly, especially if professionals work or the owner has assistants.
- Seismic resistance. Not such an important factor for most regions of our country, but still.
- The ability to equip the beautiful interior of bath rooms in very different ways, including using clapboard cladding, block house and other natural materials.
- There is no need to wait for shrinkage to start finishing work, as is the case in the case of building a bath from a log.
- You can order a ready-made set of a frame bath of the required size. All elements will be brought and assembled directly on site very quickly. There are a lot of ready-made projects.
- The price of the building is not high, significantly less than in the case of using bricks or massive logs.
However, one cannot fail to note a number of disadvantages of frame baths:
- You cannot save on insulation! Only high-quality materials, for example, thick stone wool, which does not burn, which is a huge plus for a steam room. Insulation in one layer should be at least 100, and preferably 150 millimeters thick.
- It is imperative to strictly adhere to the technology of laying the “pie” inside the walls, to properly mount the vapor barrier. We must not forget about floor and roof insulation before finishing.
- If you do not take care of effective ventilation, inside the frame bath you will get a greenhouse with a stuffy and uncomfortable atmosphere..
- If insufficiently dried boards or timber were used for construction, then the bath may shrink, which will entail problems with finishing.
- If the insulation cake has been broken, there is a risk of getting wet and loss of thermal insulation properties.
- The technology is relatively new and it is not yet known how long frame baths can serve, while the durability of log cabins and brick buildings is time-tested.
Whether it is worth building a frame bath is up to you. The portal told how to do it step by step with your own hands. This is a good option for quickly building a bath, which has a number of advantages. Although, according to experts, in general, taking into account high-quality insulation and finishing, the difference in price with baths made of bricks, logs or blocks will not be so great.