Column house designs seemed to be out of fashion. However, with columns it is possible to build not only a classic mansion, as in historical films. Our tips site will show you how different houses can be, the decoration of the facade of which has become columns of different materials.
Of course, the first associations that are evoked by the phrase “house with columns” are an austere, snow-white mansion, whose front facade is supported by these very aristocratic architectural elements. Yes, classic mansions without columns are hard to imagine, these are timeless projects that many like.
Important! The columns of the house have not only a decorative function – to decorate the exterior. They become a load-bearing element, supporting a canopy over the entrance group to the house, the renovation of which the portal wrote in detail. The columns can carry the weight of the canopy stretching along the entire front facade, framing the spacious terrace where the owners can equip the recreation area.
Structurally, the columns of the house can be built from the following materials:
- Reinforced concrete. The most durable option, used if you need to support, for example, a wide balcony on the second floor. Columns of concrete with reinforcement are erected relatively quickly, they serve for a long time. The downside is that finishing will be required – plastering and painting to match the color of the facade or in contrast with it.
- Logs and beams. Ideal for log cabins and other wooden buildings. Such columns can be decorated with carvings, which will turn the house into a real tower..
- Metal pipes. The best option for modern high-tech buildings, loft, minimalism. Such metal columns can be difficult to install due to their weight; they need finishing, painting to protect the steel from external influences.
- Brick. Also a classic. Brick columns are usually erected around a metal pipe to increase structural strength. However, this is not necessary if the column does not need to support the balcony or a flat, exploited roof..
- Blocks. Including aerated concrete, foam concrete, wood concrete, ceramic blocks. If the house is built from them, then the columns, in this case are always square, are erected from this material. It is clear that you cannot do without finishing the columns from blocks..
Columns do not have to be round in shape. Square designs are also common. Columns can be faced with artificial or natural stone, for example, Dagestan.
Just one or two columns in the porch area can make the facade of the building much more interesting. And if there are a lot of them – around the whole house – the building will evoke associations with summer vacations thanks to the long open terraces. Columns can be massive and thick, thin and airy, disguised as facade decoration or contrast with it. In any case, such projects continue to be popular and are very diverse..