Wallpaper for painting is a popular option for finishing walls and ceilings. Our tips site has collected the most common questions that this type of wallpaper causes for those who are planning a renovation. We will answer them in a simple, understandable, accessible way, but so that you do not have to look for additional information.
- Why is paintable wallpaper popular at all? Indeed, after all, you can simply paint the walls or stick ordinary wallpaper, why double work. But wallpaper for painting does not require careful alignment of the walls, in contrast to simple painting. And their advantage over other wallpapers is the ability to quickly update the interior, paint over the traces left by children and pets. There is not just paint on the wall, but with a pattern, a relief, which looks much more interesting;
- What paintable wallpapers are there? The portal devoted a separate article to this topic, we advise you to re-read. In short, the most common option is non-woven vinyl wallpaper. More resistant – fiberglass wallpaper. And the simplest and most short-lived ones are paper ones. Fiberglass is also gaining popularity, it is environmentally friendly and has soundproofing qualities, but without a relief pattern. Fans of the classics can use linkrusta with its pronounced reliefs and patterns;
- What paint for wallpaper to choose? It all depends on what kind of paintable wallpaper you bought. If the vinyl is on a non-woven base, ordinary water-based and water-based paints are perfect. But for fiberglass it is better to choose latex and acrylic paints;
Important! If you already bought wallpaper specifically for painting, do not leave them uncovered! A layer of paint will cement the wallpaper, as it were, and significantly extend their service life. Without it, they quickly begin to lose their original appearance..
- What do you need to paint the wallpaper? Painter’s standard set of tools: roller, brush for working at joints with other surfaces, masking tape to protect ceiling, floor skirting boards and other surfaces. Of course, you need the paint itself, you can use a spray gun, a spray gun. Stencils are used to create drawings. There are special rollers that help to quickly and evenly apply the selected pattern and wallpaper;
- What are the basic rules for coloring wallpaper? It’s simple, paint is applied as usual. The first time the wallpaper is painted in two layers, then one will be enough. Unless, of course, you want to drastically change the color from dark to light. In this case, you will need to first apply white paint, and then the already selected light shade. You cannot stop the process in the middle of the wall – the difference will be noticeable. It is highly desirable to deal with the entire room as quickly as possible, in one day;
- How many times can the wallpaper be repainted? No more than 7-8 times. Which is already good. Some manufacturers increase this figure to 15 colors, but this applies to fiberglass wallpaper, not on a non-woven, and even more so on a paper basis;
- How much does paintable wallpaper cost? Differently. Non-woven wallpaper costs from 435 rubles. Paper ones can be found even cheaper. Fiberglass, of course, is more expensive – from 1,300 rubles. The network has offers for both 6 and 8 thousand rubles – a lot depends on the popularity of the manufacturer’s brand.