- Advantages of tongue-and-groove blocks
- Installation technology for interior partitions using gypsum blocks
- Tips for choosing a material
Among the many building materials for the construction of interior partitions, it is difficult to make the right choice. In this article, we will talk about tongue-and-groove gypsum blocks. We will quote the prices, talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the material, describe the installation technology.
For the construction of interior partitions, you can use different materials: bricks, foam concrete blocks, drywall and much more. You can also build partitions from wood using beams, plywood, boards, OSB and chipboard. But it is gypsum blocks that are most popular. What is their advantage, let’s try to figure it out together.
Advantages of tongue-and-groove blocks
The best performance characteristics among the listed materials are plaster blocks. The main advantages are as follows:
- dimensional accuracy (allows you to get an ideal surface);
- ease of processing (you can saw with an ordinary hacksaw);
- high installation speed (6–8 times faster than brickwork);
- good heat and sound insulation properties;
- low specific weight (the structure creates 4 times less load on the floor than a brick partition);
- lack of harmful impurities.
The gypsum block wall “breathes”, mold does not form on its surface, it regulates the humidity in the room, giving or absorbing it.
Unlike a plasterboard partition, it is more durable, which allows you to fix interior furnishings and shelves with ordinary self-tapping screws (metal embedded parts are provided for heavy objects).
Installation is faster than with ceramic bricks and does not require the use of cement mortar. In addition, the surface of the wall with the correct installation of gypsum blocks does not need to be leveled with plaster. Reliability of fastening is ensured due to the groove-comb connection with the use of glue.
In the Russian market, the greatest demand is for tongue-and-groove gypsum boards manufactured by Volma, Peshelan, Knauf and Magma. The production technology of products has practically no differences. Manufactured gypsum boards are divided into ordinary and moisture resistant. Their technical characteristics are shown in the following table.
Specifications Unit rev. Indicators ordinary plates hydrophobized slabs Material plaster of paris Colour Gray green Length mm 667 (± 2) Width mm 500 (± 1) Thickness mm 80 (± 2) Number of tongue-and-groove plates in 1 m2 PCS. 3 Plate weight Kg about 27 about 29 Density, no more kg / m2 950 1250 Vacation humidity, no more % 12 Compressive strength MPa 5.0 Flexural strength MPa 2.4 Thermal conductivity coefficient, AA / AB W / m ° C 0.29 / 0.35 Water absorption, no more % 35 five Specific effective activity of radionuclides, no more Bq / kg 370 Flammability Group NG Price rub / pc. 195-200 235-250
Installation technology for interior partitions using gypsum blocks
To build a partition from tongue-and-groove gypsum blocks, you will need the following tools and materials:
- hand saw with large teeth and wide blade (for sawing blocks);
- trowel or spatula (for working with adhesive mass);
- glue putty (gypsum-based);
- wedges and beacon profiles (to align the first row);
- level, plumb line and rule (to control the quality of the wall surface);
- rubber mallet.
The amount of glue for the installation of partitions is taken at the rate of 25 kg per 1.3-1.5 m2 walls. Gypsum blocks are purchased in the amount necessary for the construction of a partition of a certain area with a margin of 1% (they can be stacked practically without waste). For the construction of double partitions, respectively, twice as much material is needed, as well as insulation and reinforcing mesh.
The procedure for installing partitions from gypsum blocks:
- Preparatory work: the base is cleaned of dirt and dust, the position of the partition is marked. With the help of a plumb line, it is projected onto the ceiling and adjacent walls. A leveling layer of cement mortar is applied to the base (if necessary).
- An adhesive solution is being prepared: the dry mixture is poured into a plastic container with water and mixed thoroughly. It is necessary to achieve the consistency of sour cream. The solution is applied to walls, ceilings and floors. To improve sound insulation, an elastic gasket is glued to the walls and floor.
- Before installing the first row, the comb is removed from the blocks below. The blocks are oriented with the groove up: the putty is better distributed in this way. They are attached to the side walls with an angle plate (bracket) using self-tapping screws.
- Before laying the next rows, the horizontal and end grooves of the lower blocks are filled with putty. The following blocks are installed in a bandage (with an offset) and upset with a rubber mallet. The thickness of the seams should be no more than 2 mm. The protruding adhesive is removed with a spatula.
- The last row is mounted in blocks, the upper edge of which is made beveled. The gap between the floor slab and the partition is filled with glue-putty and the plane is leveled with a spatula.
- The wall plane and its deviation from the vertical are periodically controlled by the rule and the level.
- The device of openings can be performed after the installation of blocks, if the height of the openings is not more than a quarter of the total height of the structure, and their area does not exceed 10% of the total area. There is no need to install a lintel over the opening if it is not wider than 800 mm, and one row of blocks is installed above it. During installation it is necessary to use a temporary supporting structure of vertical beams and a horizontal lintel..
- Door and window blocks are fixed in the opening with self-tapping screws. External and internal corners are reinforced with a perforated profile or reinforcing tape.
Moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove gypsum blocks are used for the installation of partitions in rooms with high humidity. This material has a greenish tint, which the blocks acquire due to hydrophobic additives..
Attention! When using moisture-resistant gypsum blocks, the inner corners must be glued with waterproofing tape.
After the partition is ready, finishing material can be immediately applied to its surface after grouting.
Approximate cost estimate for the construction of an interior partition at the rate of 1 m2
Material consumption per 1 m2 Unit price Total amount (approximate) Total amount for 1 m2 Adhesive putty 16 kg RUB 300-330 / 25 kg 210 rbl. The gypsum block is moisture resistant 3.0 235-250 rubles. 750 rbl. 1000 rub. Plaster block ordinary 3.0 195-200 rubles. 600 rbl. 800 rbl. Hollow gypsum block 3.0 180-190 rub. 570 rbl. 760 rbl.
Tips for choosing a material
The main requirement for the quality of gypsum blocks is compliance with geometric parameters. Choosing a building material, you can arrange an elementary check without the use of measuring tools.
To do this, it is enough to select 5 pieces from the batch. blocks (in random order) and align their planes. They should fit perfectly. The marriage will immediately manifest itself in the presence of cracks. After that, you need to build a fragment of the wall from the selected blocks. If the grooves and ridges are well connected, and the wall turns out to be flat, you have high-quality material in front of you.
With its help, using the recommendations outlined in the article, you can independently build an interior partition of any complexity.