The master class shows a simple cut-in technology using a hand-held router for cup-type furniture hinges. Using an inexpensive slot cutter and a homemade template, you can quickly make professional-quality blind holes in your home workshop.
The procedure for making a template
1. Determine the thickness of the plywood for the template: it should be slightly larger than the protruding part of the copy sleeve. Too thick material should not be taken – the cutter overhang may not be enough.
2. Measure the outside diameter of the copy sleeve.
3. Calculate the size of the hole to be cut (D) using the formula:
D = D1 + D2 – D3, where:
- D1 – the required diameter of the recess for the loop (26, 35 or 40 mm);
- D2 is the diameter of the copying sleeve;
- D3 – cutter gauge.
For example, for a furniture hinge with a 35 mm cup, a 14 mm cutter and a 30 mm bushing, you will need a template hole with a diameter of 51 mm.
4. Cut a piece out of plywood and mark the center of the hole to be drilled according to the drawing..
5. After placing an unnecessary board, secure the plywood with a clamp and mark the drilling point with an awl.
6. Having set the desired size on the “ballerina”, drill a hole.
Council. The accuracy of the operation affects the quality of the manufactured template. Better to try out the drill bit on an unnecessary board and adjust the size.
7. Sand the edges of the hole.
8. Cut a strip 3 cm wide and 14 cm long from plywood.
9. Draw a line parallel to the axis of the hole at a distance of 22 mm, marking the location of the edge of the furniture door.
10. According to the markings, fix the stop bar on the glue and nails.
11. Transfer the centerline to the other side of the workpiece to help locate the hinge position..
12. Template is ready.
Buttonhole insertion order
1. Mark the furniture door based on the recommended distances between the hinges.
2. Resting the stopper against the end, place the template on the door and secure with a clamp.
3. Place the router in the working area, lower the tool body down until the router touches the surface of the workpiece and clamp the locking lever.
4. Lower the depth gauge to the positioning support.
5. Count on the scale 11.5 mm and set the stop position.
6. Tighten the milling depth adjuster lock.
7. Adjust the parameter with the micrometer screw.
8. Release the locking lever.
9. Turn the positioning support and set the depth of the first pass.
10. Start the router, press down on the body and lock the position. Smoothly guiding the tool along the work surface, cut material, starting at the circle and going to the center.
11. After completing the pass, release the latch. Rotate the support to the next position and repeat the process until the groove is completely depleted..
Council. In the absence of a sawdust removal system, it is recommended to clean the working area with a vacuum cleaner after each pass to avoid milling defects..
12. The neat seat is ready.
13. Insert the hinge into the recess, align and mark the location of the screws.
14. Start drilling for the screws, limiting the drilling depth.
15. Fasten the hinges with countersunk screws..
After cutting in the hinges, go to the door suspension, for which mark the location of the mating parts. In our example, the markings for screws are located 37 mm from the end of the chipboard board. For other modifications of the fittings, determine the size in place: after assembling the hinge and setting the front adjustment screw in the middle, lean the door against the sidewall with a gap of 2 mm and put marks through the oblong holes. Finish the work with adjusting operations.
Adjustment screws: 1 – in height; 2 – in depth; 3 – in width.
In a similar way, it is easy to calculate and make templates both for installing cup loops of other standard sizes, and for cutting other holes..