The content of the article
The carriers of many diseases are ixodid ticks. Of the entire population, 3-15% of bloodsuckers are contagious. After a bite, symptoms do not appear immediately. It is necessary to monitor the behavior of the pet, and at the first signs of infection, immediately consult a veterinarian.
The dangers of a tick bite
The saliva of an infected tick contains toxic substances that can cause your furry friend to have allergic reactions, pathologies of important body systems. When combing, suppuration of the wound due to penetrated infection is possible.
Symptoms of a tick bite in dogs with toxic brain damage are manifested by suffocation, from which the dog may die. Possible damage to the nervous system is the loss of the swallowing reflex and dysphonia – the inability to make sounds. A favorable outcome is a temporary loss of physical activity with a full recovery.
Dangerous consequences of tick-borne infection are vector-borne diseases. These include:
- Babesiosis (pyroplasmosis) – caused by microorganisms of the genus babesia. Pathology has a fatal effect on red blood cells, resulting in the death of a pet.
- Hepatozoonosis – the localization of parasites occurs in white blood cells. Symptoms of the disease appear after a decrease in the dog’s immunity..
- Borreliosis – neurological disorders appear in the form of arthritis, which can go away on its own. Four-legged with Lyme Disease is contagious to humans.
- Ehrlichiosis – parasites penetrate into platelets, granulocytes and monocytes, there is a risk of damage to the bone marrow, organs of vision, blood vessels and joints. For a person there is a risk of infection from a pet.
- Bartonellosis – Bartonella affects endothelial cells, macrophages, red blood cells. The disease may develop asymptomatically, but there is a risk of dog death in a few years. Some types of bartonella are dangerous to humans.
Tick Bite Signs
The owner should show the pet to the veterinarian when the first signs of a tick bite appear in dogs. The animal immediately changes its behavior – apathy appears, anxiety from the bloodsucking. The dog often begins to itch, trying to get rid of the unpleasant neighborhood. After 1-3 days, a manifestation of local symptoms is observed. Next week will show which tick hit the pet. If an ordinary insect, then the animal will recover after extraction of a bloodsucking. In case of contact with an infected individual, the animal may experience symptoms of one of the dangerous diseases.
The intensity of the signs in each dog manifests itself in different ways. It depends on the following factors:
- breeds and weights – in a small individual, symptoms will appear more quickly;
- general health of the animal – strong immunity inhibits the development of clinical manifestations;
- time of year – in heat, symptoms appear faster;
- the presence of concomitant pathologies – other diseases weaken the defenses of the body of the fourth friend, which will affect the intensity of manifestations.
Symptoms of a bite after a tick in dogs appear as a local reaction. If the blood-sucking was found and removed from the animal, then after 2-3 hours the following symptoms appear at the site of insect penetration:
- redness of the skin;
- swelling of varying degrees;
- persistent itching;
- moderate pain;
- fever, chills;
- granular dermatitis.
After removing the blood-sucking, it is necessary to disinfect the wound. Failure to do so may lead to a risk of infection, the occurrence of a secondary infection, which manifests itself in the form of suppuration of the site of infection. For dogs of small breeds, injections of antihistamines to relieve itching are recommended..
Symptoms of a tick bite in dogs form a clinical picture. Its important element is the animal’s behavioral instincts. The following signs of a tick bite in a dog should alert the owner:
- Decreased activity – the dog stops jumping and running, loses playfulness, does not ask for a walk. She shows lethargy and apathy.
- Loss of appetite – a complete rejection of food, even from your favorite treats. It is rarely possible to feed a pet by force.
- Violation of motor functions – the animal spends more time in a prone position. It seems that the movement brings him physical suffering. Animal movements are characterized by staggering.
On day 3-5, additional signs of infection appear. They are caused by violations of the digestive tract due to the refusal of the animal to eat:
- dark urine up to black;
- vomiting with mucus;
- diarrhea of green or bright yellow color;
- bad smell from a pet;
- pallor of the mucous membranes;
- cramping in the abdomen;
- blood in the urine;
- vaginal discharge in bitches;