The content of the article
- What is string art
- What you need for string art
- Sinking Technique – Beginner Charts
- What to make from nails and threads
- Panel of threads and nails
- Thread pattern on nails
- Thread card
- DIY do-it-yourself art workshop
- A heart
- The flower in the technique of isonia
- Portrait of nails and thread
- String art tree
- Owl in the technique of isonia
- Panel cat catches a butterfly
- DIY marine style panel
- String Art Eiffel Tower
How many different types of needlework there simply can’t be counted, but if banal knitting or embroidery is not for you, it’s worth trying to learn something new. For example, from ordinary nails and threads, an amazingly beautiful picture can be obtained using the modern technology of weaving string art. Interested in? Then find out: what materials are needed for this, how to draw up a diagram correctly and master a few simple workshops.
What is string art
An unusual type of needlework string art was invented in England almost four centuries ago. Using ordinary nails and threads, the weavers of that time created a decorative pattern on the planks, which later adorned the walls of their own home. Over time, the ancient weaving technique was several times processed and improved, but the Mary Bull version of string art became especially popular in the world. With her help, an English researcher taught children algebra and geometry..
What you need for string art
The main accessories for creating a string art pattern are nails and threads. You can take not a thick yarn for knitting, ordinary sewing threads, floss or silk. In addition to this standard set, you will also need:
- piece of plywood or board;
- thick cardboard, if you are going to make a card or master string art with children;
- template, photo, scatter diagram or finished image;
- paint, if the basis is necessary to add color;
- hammer to drive nails or an awl for punctures on paper.
Sinking Technique – Beginner Charts
If you have never tried to master string art before, then you will have to start from the very beginning. Schemes with numbers in this case are a find for you. On them, arrows indicate the movement of the thread and the type of connection of all elements. To make it easier to work, apply the scheme on a cardboard sheet or wood is in its original form, in the first case on the back of the product.
To learn the technique of string art for beginners is to study the principle of filling a corner or circle. All other forms: circle, oval, square or letters are only derivatives. To practice, draw a right angle on a piece of paper with lines equal to 10 and 5 centimeters. Divide the long strip into 10 identical parts, 1 centimeter each, number. Divide a short strip by half a centimeter, also make the notation with numbers – the scheme is ready. The thread must be led from one edge of the top to the other on both sides.
What to make from nails and threads
It would seem that simple threads, ordinary nails – well, what sensible can come from such a set of tools? In fact, with the right weave of yarn, the printed pattern in an amazing way can turn into a three-dimensional picture. For the technique of string art, ideas can be gleaned from anything. Do you like the image on the Internet? Feel free to download and print..
With the help of string art you can make a three-dimensional image of a pet: cats, dogs, parrots. Fans of abstraction can master the technique of creating multi-colored panels. The correct geometric shapes of the lines will not become an obstacle for creating a card for Valentine’s Day. Flowers, insects, wildlife, kitchen utensils – all this can easily be embodied in paintings of threads and nails.
Panel of threads and nails
Instead of the usual purchase of paintings on the wall in the central room it is better to hang a picturesque string art panel. The main feature is that the finished image should not have many small details that distract attention. In any case, the base will have to be done for a panel of threads and nails with your own hands, but you can trust children to draw colorful lines.
Thread pattern on nails
If you like plot drawings, which you have to chase for a single day, then you should master the creation of the picture. For example, for the interior of a nursery, a canvas with animals, characters from cartoons or fairy tales is suitable. Do-it-yourself nail painting with interesting food themes will be a worthy decoration in the kitchen, and in the bedroom you can hang images of sailboats, clovers or delicate flowers.
Are you going to your girlfriend’s birthday or getting ready to congratulate your beloved on Valentine’s Day? Then make an original string art thread card. The pattern will have to be depicted on thick paper using a needle with thread. For these purposes, buy thick cardboard, ordinary printed paper tears too easily and quickly loses its shape. A postcard using the isonia technique will look beautiful if the finished template is glued to larger diameter cardboard.
DIY do-it-yourself art workshop
So, you bought everything you need and are ready to start string art. Where to start? To begin with, you should master simple schemes, but it is better to use ready-made master classes or repeat the ideas of experienced needlewomen. Today you will learn how to make different crafts from nails and threads, learn about the basic principles of decorative weaving and the creation of incredibly beautiful patterns.
It’s worth starting the acquaintance with a new art form with the simplest images, for example, making a heart out of threads and nails with your own hands. Such a craft will be possible even for children, if adults help drive a carnation. In addition, such a string art can be a great gift or just decorate the wall in your bedroom. A step-by-step master class will facilitate your task:
- On a blank sheet of paper, draw a neat heart in pencil.
- Place the points where you are going to nail. It is important to take notes at the same distance, the appearance will depend on this.
- Lean the paper against the plywood. Drive the cloves into the places that were previously marked with a pencil.
- Remove the paper template from the nails. Use tweezers to remove leftover blank sheet from plywood..
- On the central top nail, make a neat knot, and pull the tip of the thread diagonally.
- Continue wrapping the nails with a rope so that with each new turn you get an acute angle.
- Once all the cloves are tied, lock the tip of the thread and carefully cut the tail.
The flower in the technique of isonia
Having learned how to embroider a circle or corner using the string art technique, you can easily move on to creating simple floral arrangements. The next step-by-step master class will teach you how to create string art flowers using the simplest example – dandelions. For work you need only a sheet of paper, a pencil, an awl and threads of two colors: white and green. Step by step, the floral embroidery is the following:
- Starting at the top of the sheet, draw three circles in random order, each with a diameter of 5-6 centimeters.
- To get a lot of dandelion inflorescences inside the circles, draw another small circle, from which draw up 5 connecting lines.
- Make the stems and draw the leaves of the future flower. Make the necessary punctures.
- Embroider dandelion inflorescences with white threads according to the principle of a circle, starting your work from the very center. Remember that each part of a large circle is a separate inflorescence..
- To make the leaves voluminous, divide them into several triangles and embroider with green threads according to the angle principle.
- At the very end with small stitches, connect the base to the buds.
Portrait of nails and thread
Having mastered simple pictures of the heart and flowers, you can proceed to more complex compositions and weave using the string art portrait technique. You can take a ready-made photo of your pet, try to bring it to life, or depict the characters of film characters with threads. As an example, take a monochrome portrait of lovers from the following string art workshop:
- Drive cloves all around the plywood sheet.
- Cut the couple in love so that they represent a single whole.
- Place the image in the center of the panel, make notes for nails with a pencil.
- Remove the paper and drive the nails at the same distance..
- Start filling out the picture on the principle of creating sharp corners, but not from the central part, but by drawing a white thread only the general background.
Want to decorate an apartment in a Scandinavian style? To do this, you only need an aged flat piece of wood, white threads, decorative nails with a small hat, a hammer and several hours of free time. Using the string art technique, the deer from the next step-by-step lesson will look almost like a real one. The principle of creation is as follows:
- Clean the surface of excess chips, cover with a layer of varnish. If desired, the board can be painted in any color.
- Print a large stencil of the head of a deer, cut the outline along the contour.
- Place a sheet of paper in the center of the wooden canvas. Make notes for driving at a distance of 5-7 mm. This step will be easier if you use graph paper..
- Carefully drive in nails and start creating a masterpiece from the bottom of the picture.
- Fasten the tip of the thread to the nail and make a general contour, circling the yarn according to the snake principle around each stud.
- The further process is a matter of taste. You can use straight geometric lines or distribute the thread inside the contour randomly.
String art tree
A tree made of threads with your own hands will look very symbolic on the wall. To cope with its creation is as simple as to weave a heart out of hemp. All that you need for this picture: a piece of smooth plywood, a hammer, crayon, green thread and nails with a beautiful hat. Next, simply follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Chalk on a wooden board to draw a sketch of the tree, trying not to create too many small details, but to work out the outline more.
- Then drive the cloves at a distance of about 1 centimeter from each other and erase the chalk outline with a damp cloth.
- At the base of the tree, tie the tip of the thread and start by creating a contour in the same way as in the previous workshop.
- After completing this stage, start the thread in a chaotic order, first at the roots of the tree, then on the trunk and branches.
- Make as many straight lines as you wish.
This type of needlework is good in that you can teach him even small children. Try one of the free evenings with your child to make crafts from threads and cardboard. Such works are popular in kindergartens and even take first places at handmade exhibitions. Let sinking a boat be your first joint craft. The principle of its implementation is as follows:
- On the back of the cardboard, draw a right angle with a vertical line 10 centimeters long, and a horizontal line 5 cm.
- Step back 2-3 mm to the left and repeat the image size in mirror image.
- Draw a semicircle below. Using an awl, make the punctures on the cardboard equal in length.
- Start embroidering with a blue thread from the right corner. Thread the needle into the lowermost hole on the wrong side.
- Draw a straight line to the top, turn the job over and push the needle into the adjacent hole.
- So make 9 parallel lines and start working on another sail.
- To do this, change the thread to a different color and embroider the sail according to the classical principle of filling the corner.
- Fill the lower semicircle with contrasting thread with diagonal lines..
Owl in the technique of isonia
Birds are a symbol of flight, lightness and freedom. However, not every species of birds has such an understandable and simple symbolic meaning. For example, an owl is considered a symbol of chastity, discernment and the ability to foresee the future. This bird is depicted in all types of needlework, in the art of string art the owl was no exception either:
- On a blank sheet of paper, draw a general owl outline, make two large eyes, designate wings and tail.
- Transfer the sketch to a piece of plywood and fix with carnations, trying not to make large gaps between them.
- Select a dense brown thread and outline all the contours..
- Arrange the lines in a chaotic direction so that each carnation is involved in the work.
- Additionally, take a white thread. Shade the chest area and wings with a few diagonal stitches.
- Finish the work by tying the end of the thread with a tight knot.
String art is an all-consuming type of creativity. Having created one picture, you will not notice how the next one appears and the whole apartment will be hung with similar images. Such crafts can be an ideal gift for the holidays or bring a small income. Not only master classes, but also visual video lessons help bring stringing weaving technique to perfection for beginning designers..