The content of the article
- What is floristry
- Flower arrangement
- Floristic compositions
- Drawing up bouquets of fresh flowers
- The combination of flowers in a bouquet
- Making bouquets of fresh flowers
- Making bouquets of artificial flowers
- Materials for floristry
- Florist Tools
- Secrets of Floristry
- Floristry training
- Florist master classes
- Florist lessons for beginners
- Floristics and design courses
One of the most popular hobbies today is do-it-yourself floristry. This is the name of arts and crafts for the preparation of floral arrangements. The goal is to create a special atmosphere for certain events or holidays. If you want to try yourself in such creativity, then learn more about it from the information below.
What is floristry
Under floristry understand the art of composing bouquets. This is one type of design that results in floral bouquets, murals or collages. Such work has both a technical and a creative side. The purpose of floristry is the design of any holiday or event, the expression of their theme or idea through natural compositions of flowers and leaves. Beginning designers in this area should pay attention to simple collages or bouquets. As a result, such a hobby can become a real profession. Where to start – learn the basics of floristry for beginners.
In this creative and exciting lesson for beginners, there are a number of simple but important rules. The first step is to decide for whom the bouquet is for a man or a woman. The reason why such a gift is presented is also important. According to these criteria, they choose the type of plant, their number, color and size. Before starting to make a bouquet for beginners, it is recommended to mentally present it in an already finished form.
When composing floristic compositions of roses, lilies, carnations or any other flowers, the main thing for beginners is the observance of proportions. This applies to the proportionality of the vessel and plants, buds, vases and leaves. In general, the composition should be harmonious. The golden ratio in floristry also works. It consists in the following:
- If the bouquet is located vertically, then 5 of 8 parts should fall on it, and the remaining 3 – on the vase.
- When the composition is more elongated in the horizontal direction, i.e. the plants are in a low vase, the shortest branches are 3 parts, and the longest – 5. Or in another way – a long flower is 1.5 times the diameter of the pot.
Drawing up bouquets of fresh flowers
There are different types of bouquets. The main classification is female and male. In addition, there is a separation for the purpose of the bouquet:
Making bouquets of fresh flowers for beginners can be difficult, so it is recommended that you use only one type of plant. So it’s easier to understand the shades, shape and appearance of bouquets. The main type is massive – there is no space between the elements in them, and plants are represented in an amount of no more than 2-3 varieties. In addition to them, there are the following bouquets:
- flower jewelry.
The size of the bouquets can be different. Big ones are suitable for a birthday, and small ones are suitable for a wedding. In general, the compilation technology for beginners looks like this:
- determining the shape of the bouquet – the number of plants, their compatibility;
- cut of plants;
- assembly of elements in a bouquet, design;
- placement in a vase with water.
The combination of flowers in a bouquet
One of the essential elements for the success of beginning florists is the combination of flowers in a bouquet. It is very important to feel which shades complement each other and which simply cannot be used together. In addition to the harmonious combination of colors, it must be correctly selected. Warm shades will enliven the bouquet, while cold shades will make it more restrained. The first include orange, red and yellow, and the second – blue, green, purple. With the help of warm colors you can visually bring elements closer. Cold shades, on the contrary, deflect details.
Making bouquets of fresh flowers
In addition to compiling the composition itself, its final design is important. Decor should not attract attention, so unobtrusive decorations are considered the best option. Packing bouquets of fresh flowers for beginners has a number of features. The main condition is to arrange bouquets depending on the purpose:
- New Year’s – bird figures, greens, sweets;
- at the birth of a child – hearts, bears, small toys;
- romantic bouquet – butterflies, beads, asterisks;
- for a wedding – white, openwork, airy elements;
- autumn bouquet – twigs with berries, birds.
Making bouquets of artificial flowers
If you need a bright and durable composition or there is no way to care for it, then the best option would be to make bouquets of artificial flowers. For their creation, beginners and experienced florists use different materials – fabric, wax, metal, beads, paper or leather. The first step is to create a pattern of the element, and only then it is collected from the blanks. The whole composition may look different. Bouquet, plant in a pot, basket or planter, garden elements – these are standard options for floristry with artificial flowers.
Materials for floristry
The main material for floristry are different elements of vegetation. It can be live, dry or artificial flowers. All of them are divided into 3 groups:
- Linear plant material. These are long stems, tall ornamental plants, large leaves.
- The main plant material, or dominant. These include large inflorescences and buds, bright leaves.
- Additional material, or filler. This group includes medium-sized elements – buds or leaves, the function of which is to cover the fasteners.
Along with plant material, there are also floral accessories. Their function is to complement the composition and design of the designer. As accessories, a variety of details are used:
- animal figurines;
- materials for floristry
Any beginner or someone who is seriously interested in floral design will definitely need florist tools. In any composition, it is important to somehow fix all the elements. For this, floristic foam is used. For the same purpose, flower pins are used. Only with their help fasten ribbons, which is necessary for the design of the stem or masking the wire. In addition to these tools, novice and experienced florists use the following:
- Pliers and nippers. Required for cutting and working with wire in general.
- Flower secateurs, garden shears. They must be sharp so that the cut of wooden twigs or thick stems is smooth..
- Glue gun with sticks. They are used for fixing foam in a vessel and creating bouquets of artificial flowers or dried flowers.
- Stapler. Brackets can hold various small parts.
Secrets of Floristry
People already professional in this matter can share some simple tips with beginners. How to make the bouquet stay fresh for a long time, correctly combine several varieties of plants or just prepare them. Of all these secrets of floristry, the very art of composing floral arrangements consists of. Here are some of the most interesting for beginners:
- To extend the freshness of bouquets, you should choose plants that live longer than others. You can still keep them in the cold and often change the water – after 1 or 2 days.
- The rule of thumb is that there should be an odd number of plants in the bouquet. Even is only suitable for mourning occasions.
- Size depends on the occasion. For a serious celebration, you need a bigger bouquet. The universal option is considered to be compositions with a diameter of 25-20 cm.
- It is recommended to form a bouquet from the most voluminous element that will be the center. The following details are added in a spiral fashion. An interesting option is a combination of flowers of different textures, for example, roses and hypericum or red gerbera.
Now schools or just floristry courses are very popular. They provide a range of services for those wishing to learn such an art. A novice florist or a professional can visit them. Introductory classes, lectures, master classes and seminars, during which you can not only learn about the design of bouquets, but also try to compose them yourself. In addition to special courses, there are other ways to study as a florist. Beginners can watch online video tutorials or master classes and even read interesting books..
Florist master classes
Many floristry schools offer beginners master classes. Some of them have free access, while others are available for a fee. This applies to video courses. There are other master classes in floristry, in which a person can attend in person and even hone their skills with the teacher. This option is better, because you immediately get theoretical and practical knowledge..
Florist lessons for beginners
On the Internet in free access you can view a variety of floristry lessons for beginners. Some of them are presented in video format, which greatly facilitates the learning process. Ceramic floristry from clay, the history and styles of this art, the basics of European arrangement, original packaging, wedding, anniversary and other techniques. You can consider all these options in detail in such lessons..
Floristics and design courses
The best option is to go through a whole floristry course. Many professionals in this field are engaged in training. Floristics for beginners is easier. They can be completed in person or online on the Internet. It all depends on the particular school and its teaching methods. After successfully completing the program, you will be able to obtain a certificate that will allow you to work as a florist. This profession is not only exciting, but also very creative and even enjoyable. Having learned such a thing, you will already be a non-beginner florist and will be able to give others the beautiful.