The content of the article
- What is oat bran
- Benefit and harm
- The chemical composition of oat bran
- How do they look
- Calorie content
- How to make oat bran at home
- How to use for weight loss
- With kefir
- What is the difference between oat bran and cereal
- Slimming Yoghurt Bran
Popular diets suggest using oat bran for weight loss. This principle is adhered to by Dr. Ducan, who developed his famous system for losing extra pounds, as well as other nutritionists. This unique natural product is rich in fiber, creates a feeling of satiety, helps to reduce body weight..
What is oat bran
To begin with, it is worthwhile to understand that oat bran is not cereal, but a fundamentally different product. The grain shell discarded in the manufacture of flour is bran. They contain 90% of the nutritional value of oats, although they look inconspicuous and gray. Bran is sold in powder or granules, used for feeding domestic animals, but for human diet, seeding is no less useful and necessary.
Benefit and harm
Not every type of bran sold in stores or pharmacies is useful. It is best to choose a natural powder product that does not have additional additives. It is better not to buy oat bran in granules, because they can contain salt, glutamine and other components – flavors, fragrances, to improve the taste of the base. If vitamins or minerals are added to them, then you can take a product to support the body with vitamin deficiency and an additional goal – weight loss.
The bran is extremely useful for weight loss, because they contain a lot of fiber, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. This rich composition has a comprehensive positive effect on the health of the human body. If you eat the product constantly, then:
- due to dietary fiber, toxins and slags come out;
- the intestines are cleansed, peristalsis normalizes;
- digestion improves, digestive problems go away;
- appetite decreases, the process of losing weight accelerates;
- excess cholesterol is excreted;
- fats are absorbed more slowly, which contributes to weight loss;
- Magnesium shows its properties – strengthens the work of the heart and blood vessels;
- immunity increases.
For weight loss, oat fiber is used more often than others, because when it enters the stomach it swells and creates a feeling of satiety, which lasts a long time. Oats stimulate the digestive tract, which slows down the absorption of fats and their sedimentation in blood vessels. Good digestion stimulates metabolism to accelerate, which increases the body’s energy expenditures. When a person eats powder, he constantly feels full, which reduces the amount of food consumed. Once in the body, oat fiber swells by 250%.
In addition to the benefits, it is worth considering the harm of bran, which is implicit, but can lead to negative consequences for the body. Coarse fiber with prolonged use can damage the gastric mucosa, which already has ulcers, adhesions or wounds. Prolonged intake of bran leads to vitamin deficiency, which can be prevented by interruptions in use every 2-3 months.
It is not recommended to take the drug with medications, because it simply will not allow the active substances of the medications to be absorbed. Constant intake of a product containing phytic acid can destroy bone tissue. To achieve preventive goals or slow down exposure, you need to rest from the use of oat fiber every two weeks or soak it overnight to reduce the negative impact.
The chemical composition of oat bran
The composition of bran is rich and diverse, in which up to 50% of carbohydrates (fiber) and 15% of dietary fiber per 100 g of product. They have a lot of protein, which contains up to 17%, but fat – only 7%. Of the vitamins and mineral elements, it is worth noting the increased content of lutein and zeaxanthin, D and E. The powder is rich in vitamins of group B, PP, potassium and calcium. The product has a lot of magnesium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc.
How do they look
The outer shell of the grain is oat bran, in the flour mill they are considered waste, because they give the flour a rough consistency and appearance. The purified product is an odorless gray powder; sometimes a granular and extruded form occurs. All varieties are sold in transparent or colored bags, may contain additional additives. Crunching them in the form of pads or crackers is not worth it, it is too high in calories and harmful for weight loss.
For weight loss, bran from oats are considered indispensable because they contain slow carbohydrates that break down for a long time, maintaining the blood sugar level at the right level. When the glucose level holds, there is no feeling of hunger. Plant fibers are digested for a long time, do not allow calories to be absorbed, which contributes to weight loss. The calorie content of bran in 1 tablespoon is only 24 kcal, and 160 kilocalories per 100 grams of product.
How to make oat bran at home
Much to the chagrin of all losing weight, you can’t make bran yourself. This is a product of flour production, which is obtained by separating the grain shell. You can try to grind whole grains in a coffee grinder, but you won’t get a clean product without flour. Grinding flakes is also not worth it – this is a ready-made refined product, it does not have the necessary fiber. Weight loss on oat bran involves the purchase of a product in pharmacies, shops or in markets where a purified product is sold.
How to use for weight loss
Diet developers advise on how to take bran for weight loss in order to achieve the desired effect and not harm the body:
- Reception should begin with a small amount (tablespoon) in order to accustom the body to a new product. If ignored, the stomach and intestines will react negatively.
- Gradually, the volume can be increased, bringing to 30 g per day, but not more. If you increase the dose, you can earn vitamin deficiency and diarrhea.
- When using bran, you must drink plenty of water, up to 3 liters every day, so that the water softens fiber and prevents the development of constipation and poor health.
Before use, it is advisable to steam the product with hot water, but in the absence of time, you can skip this by simply adding a spoonful of the product to each main meal. The dry mass is washed down with a large amount of liquid – water, milk, kefir or juice. It is good to add a product for weight loss to cereals, pastries, salads and desserts, make diet dough from it, but do not crunch as a snack on a dry stomach.
There is an option for fasting days when only oat bran with kefir for weight loss is accepted. Such mini-diets last no longer than three days, during which you can drink one and a half liters of kefir and eat three tablespoons of bran. For better absorption of vitamins and fiber, you can pre-soak the powder with hot water, and then add it to kefir. For three days, really lose 2-3 kg and improve well-being.
What is the difference between oat bran and cereal
From oats, many useful products for weight loss are made, the most popular are cereals and bran, these are different means. Here is the difference between oatmeal:
- flakes are made from grain, which is peeled from the husk, and bran from the hard shell of the grain;
- flakes are more high-calorie – 240 kcal against 160;
- cereal contains more zinc, but less vitamin E and K, iron, potassium, phosphorus, monounsaturated fats;
- there are no soluble beta-glucan fibers in oatmeal for healthy bowel function.
The simplest bran diet involves taking a product mixed with kefir or unsweetened yogurt, infused for 20 minutes and seasoned with sweetener or cocoa. There are many other recipes that are famous for their positive reviews. From bran you can make cereals, muffins, bake bread and pancakes. They can be added to salads, side dishes from cereals, minced meat for cutlets or used for breading meatballs and fish.
- Cooking time: 30 min.
- Servings Per Container: 2 Persons.
- Calorie content: 140 kcal.
- Destination: for breakfast.
- Cuisine: Russian.
- Difficulty: Easy.
Oatmeal with bran is cooked for breakfast to speed up weight loss. She enters the Ducan diet menu at the Cruise and Attack stages. It is best to cook it on one oatmeal powder, but for taste it is allowed to add a little more wheat and rye. A sugar substitute and a pinch of salt are introduced into a healthy dish. There is such a mess you need two weeks in the morning, then replace with another option.
- skim milk – a glass;
- bran – 1.5 tbsp. l .;
- sweetener – 1 g.
- Pour milk into a pan, put on a stove, warm, but do not boil.
- Pour in powder, spices, stir.
- Bring to a boil, cook for two minutes.
- Pour into a plate, let it brew for two minutes.
- Cooking time: 25 min..
- Servings Per Container: 4 Persons.
- Calorie dishes: 166 kcal.
- Purpose: for lunch.
- Cuisine: Russian.
- Difficulty: medium.
Kefir fritters with oat bran will be a great option for a delicious hearty dinner. Having slightly improved the following recipe with a photo, you can bake pancakes, wrap low-calorie filling in them and treat your friends who have come. The pancakes turn out lush, crispy, serve them well with sour cream or low-fat cream, honey or syrup.
- eggs – 3 pcs.;
- bran – 160 g;
- kefir 2.5% fat – 150 ml;
- low-fat cottage cheese – 250 g;
- salt – 2 g;
- sugar – a teaspoon;
- sunflower oil – 20 ml.
- Pound the cottage cheese with a fork, beat the eggs, pour the warm kefir.
- Knead the dough until creamy, let stand for five minutes.
- Heat oil, put fritters in a pan with a spoon.
- Bake until brown on both sides. Cook no more than once a week.
Slimming Yoghurt Bran
- Cooking time: 20 min.
- Servings Per Container: 1 Person.
- Calorie dishes: 154 kcal.
- Destination: for dinner.
- Cuisine: Russian.
- Difficulty: Easy.
Oat bran with yogurt is suitable for a light dinner that promotes weight loss. A simple drink is prepared quickly: you need to pour the required amount of powder with unsweetened natural yogurt, season to taste with berries or fruits. The drink is infused for about 20 minutes, so that the bran swells and gives the necessary feeling of satiety in the stomach, prolongs it for a long time, but could not crack on the teeth.
- bran – 15 g;
- yogurt – 200 ml.
- Pour the powder or granules with yogurt. Leave on for 20 minutes.
- If desired, add sliced fruit, whole berries, sweetener.
- You can also prepare such a drink for a snack, and improve the recipe by diluting yogurt with fermented baked milk, flax seeds. The latter help to lose weight more intensively.
For all the benefits of the product, there are restrictions under which oat bran can not be. They are absolutely not suitable for people with diseases of the stomach and intestines, because they can increase the irritation of the walls. Do not use powder for indigestion, the presence of adhesions in the digestive tract, ulcers and gastritis with colitis. It is not recommended to take the drug for individual intolerance or allergies.