In this article, we’ll talk about what a step stool is, why it can be useful in a house and apartment. Our advice site will tell you what stools are with an additional staircase function, and also highlight the main criteria for choosing this useful piece of furniture.
The portal has already described to you in detail the rules for choosing an ordinary stepladder for the house, talked about what such folding ladders are like. However, not always and not everywhere homeowners need an ordinary stepladder. A small ladder seat is often enough.
Such a piece of furniture looks like an ordinary chair with a back or a stool with several steps. Most often there are only three, maximum five. A stepladder stool is necessary for those owners of houses and apartments whose storage places are high and need to get something.
Initially, rung stools were used exclusively in libraries, where bookshelves were located all the way to the ceiling. Then they moved to the houses of wealthy citizens, where they also had their own library cabinets. And now such chairs with steps are used everywhere where the owners have placed, for example, kitchen cabinets-columns, dressing rooms with mezzanines, in storerooms and garages – wherever there are high storage places.
The stepladder stool has many advantages:
- Reliability. Additional support is not needed, there are already four legs, and the steps are attached securely;
- Security. Agree that it is safer to get to the top shelf of the pantry using a strong ladder than to balance on a regular stool, standing on tiptoe. Or construct something that looks like a ladder from a coffee table and a chair, placed on top of each other;
- Mobility. It is very easy to carry such a ladder with a seat anywhere;
- Ease of use. You can turn the chair into a stepladder with one hand and no tools are required;
- When folded, such a ladder does not take up much space, easily fits, for example, in the trunk of a car and can be suspended on a wall or on the back of a pantry door;
- Can be used as a regular chair in the kitchen or in the dining room, actually, anywhere;
- The choice of models is very large, those for whom the aesthetic component is important can choose very beautiful stepladder stools;
- Sometimes a stepladder stool becomes, for example, an interesting stand for pots with flowers or shelves for anything.
Step stools are not only folding, but also stationary. The downside is that they take up more space, but in general, if you plan to use such a chair with steps on a daily basis, it’s convenient, you don’t need to assemble and disassemble at all.
The most expensive option is convertible chairs, retractable and reclining. They are the highest – up to a meter, while traditionally the height of a step-stool does not exceed 70 centimeters. The tilt angle of the steps is 50 degrees, and the minimum dimensions of the seat are 30×40 centimeters. If the seat is smaller, it will simply be uncomfortable for an adult to stand on it..
When choosing a step stool, you need to be guided by the following criteria:
- The dimensions of the room and the height of the shelves that you will need to reach;
- Construction type – folding, stationary or transformer;
- Manufacturing material. Most often it is wood, there are metal structures with anti-slip steps, there are combined options. Miniature children’s ladder chairs are most often made of plastic, and plywood models are not in demand as they are not too reliable and afraid of moisture;
- Budget. Handmade step stools, designer models, of course, are more expensive than factory ones. But they look much more attractive.
In general, you can make a step-stool with your own hands, our video instructions will help you with this..