A separate laundry room, a laundry room in Russian houses is still a rarity. When planning the construction of a house, choosing a suitable project, most often they simply do not think about this room. Meanwhile, a laundry room with everything you need is very convenient! Let’s talk about its arrangement.
When describing the differences between typical American houses and Russian ones, we mentioned laundries. At the same time, according to American designers, even in the United States, homeowners often decide to simply install a tumble dryer and washing machine in the farthest corner of the house, hide it in a basement or garage. And then they complain about the inconvenience and try to organize a more comfortable place for all the processes associated with washing clothes. To avoid this situation, consider planning and running a complete laundry in your home..
There is no standard size, shape or layout for a laundry room. Each home owner decides this issue independently. Therefore, at the first stage, you should decide what exactly your family needs, what functions this room should perform.
What can be placed in the laundry:
- a washing machine is an obligatory, most important attribute;
- drying machine;
- baskets for dirty linen and clothes, and separately, for example, for children and adults, colored and white;
- dryer. Yes, even if there is a drying machine, it will not hurt. Some delicate items simply cannot be dried at elevated temperatures;
- ironing board. It will be logical to iron the laundry on the spot without dragging it around the house. In addition, the question of where to hide the ironing board, which takes up a lot of space, disappears;
- closet for clean linen, which has not yet been sorted and transferred to a permanent storage location;
- storage place for washing powder, rinse aid and other household chemicals;
- sink, sink. Sometimes it becomes necessary to pre-wash stained clothes. Do not carry it to the bathroom for this!
In many homes, the laundry serves as an additional storage place for all kinds of things. For example, sledges, skis, and other sports equipment can be left here. In addition, the laundry room is an ideal place for a mop, brooms, vacuum cleaner, broomstick, house cleaning rags. Decide immediately whether your laundry will have such a function, because combining the two purposes of one room is a reasonable approach. In addition, sometimes the laundry is also combined with a home workshop, a place for needlework..
Some people move the sleeping places of animals and their feeders to this compact room to avoid additional sources of pollution in other rooms..
Where to locate the laundry? The most popular places are near the entrance hall, next to the kitchen, not far from the dressing room and the bathroom, directly in the boiler room. All options have their pros and cons. Just think about how it will be more convenient for your family.
When arranging a separate laundry room, a number of questions arise:
- conducting communications. Sewerage and plumbing – you can’t do without this in the laundry, they must be connected to the washing machine. The dryer requires a connection to either a ventilation or a sewerage system, or a drainage tray, it does not need water. If there is also a sink in the room, supply lines of communications should also be organized to it;
- It is best to use a window as natural ventilation in the laundry room. Or install exhaust ventilation, because this is a room with high humidity;
- provision of lighting. If you do your laundry most often in the evenings, or if the laundry room just doesn’t have a window, you’ll need a lot of light. It is important to provide lighting above the washing machine itself and above the ironing board. However, if the laundry is very small, one lamp will be enough.
In terms of finishes, the traditional laundry flooring is tiles. Linoleum, self-leveling floor, concrete are not excluded. But don’t use laminate or parquet flooring. Walls can be simply painted or covered with wallpaper. This is not a bathroom, where splashes are scattering on the walls. And not a kitchen where the apron is exposed to grease and steam daily.
Yes, the humidity in the laundry room can be increased, but not enough to use tiles on all walls. The ceiling can be anything. It is important to understand that the washing room is very rarely shown to guests, so its primary purpose is to be functional, and only then – beautiful.
But you have to worry about storage locations. Wardrobes will probably have to be ordered, because it is difficult to find something ready-made in a small room. You need to pick up baskets, hangers, clothes dryers. All these items significantly affect the functionality of the room..
It is not necessary to install a tabletop above the drying and washing machine, but it will definitely decorate the room and allow you to conveniently, without vibration, store various little things.
Household appliances will become the largest expense item in setting up a laundry. It is quite possible to save money in storage and decoration areas by choosing budget options or by doing everything yourself.
In an apartment, of course, it is much more difficult to allocate a place for a full-fledged laundry room, except perhaps to organize a former pantry for it..