Designers claim that mid-century modern interiors are popular all over the world today. Translated from English, it is simply “mid-century modern”, a style influenced by the trends of the 50s and 60s of the last century. Moreover, this is not at all vintage in its purest form.!
We wrote about the Art Nouveau style in the interior, but then we touched on the direction that arose at the end of the 19th century. The style, based on the trends of the middle of the last century, has many differences. Today, mid-century modern is often used in its pure form in the USA, and in the capitals of France and Sweden it is successfully integrated into the interiors of historic buildings, where modern high-tech and minimalism would be out of place.
Although, we admit, the mid-century modern has something in common with minimalism – the absence of pretentiousness and a small amount of decor. Let’s highlight the main features of the Art Nouveau style of the middle of the last century:
- Open plan. A lot of space, a common dining-kitchen-living room, where the zones flow smoothly into each other, an abundance of air and light. By the way, this is a very modern trend..
- Calm colors. Sand, beige, brown, gray, white – this is the base, against the background of which there can be blotches of dark blue, dark green, muted red, plum and golden.
- Posters, pictures, and wallpaper in pop art style can dilute the neutral color scheme, because this culture was very popular in the 50-60s.
- Decorative lamps, including floor lamps, table lamps. They are not just lighting fixtures, in this interior style they have a special role as a design element.
- Legendary furniture. The middle of the last century saw a furniture boom. At that time, many pieces of furniture were created, which became samples, without exaggeration, a legend..
A striking example of such legendary furniture is the Tulip Table, created by Eero Saarinen in 1964. A round, laconic table on a graceful but stable leg, traditionally white. Such tables can be not only dining, but also coffee tables..
This table will be complemented by an unusual, well-known Panton chair, created by Werner Panton. In the middle of the last century, plastic as a material for making furniture was still a novelty, and the unusual shape of the chair could not but cause surprise and delight..
Another example of famous furniture is the Eames Lounge chair. Very comfortable and easily recognizable model, created in order to relax at home, read, just relax.
Of course, you don’t have to choose exclusively famous pieces of furniture. But you need to adhere to the mid-century modern style when choosing furniture! It is advisable to choose wooden chests of drawers, sideboards, sofas, armchairs, beds on widely spaced legs in the form of hairpins or crossed, X-shaped legs. This is one of the most recognizable features of such furniture..
Of course, it cannot be said that the mid-century modern style is suitable for everyone without exception. This is a special direction, with a noticeable nostalgia for the past. But, admit, where else can you find such recognizable, comfortable furniture that has become a classic in its style. In addition, this interior design option does not cause negative emotions due to its neutrality, lightness and the ability to bring something of its own..