The content of the article
- What is Camembert
- The smell of Camembert
- What is the difference between brie and camembert cheese
- Camembert cheese benefits
- Calorie blue cheese
- How to eat Camembert cheese
- Camembert at home
- Camembert cheese price
- Camembert Cheese Recipes
- Fried Camembert cheese
- Camembert Salad
This product is highly regarded by foodies from around the world. True connoisseurs eat a treat, washed down with neutral sorts of wines that do not interrupt the complex taste of cheese, but somewhat soften its severity. Camembert is included in many recipes of French cuisine: they are complemented by desserts, soups, various sauces.
What is Camembert
The product comes from France, but won the love of millions of people from around the world. Camembert is a soft, high-fat cheese made from high-quality cow’s milk (cattle graze on special pastures to get a delicate taste of the product). The finished delicacy can have a color from snow-white or light beige to dark brick, and its aroma resembles the smell of dampness, while the more mature the cheese, the brighter it smells. Heads weighing approximately 300 grams are covered with a white crust, which forms a special kind of mold.
The smell of Camembert
The flavor of the Norman delicacy is not liked by everyone: it resembles the smell of charm, while the sharpness depends on the degree of exposure of the product. If you feel that the smell of camembert gives off ammonia or is too pungent – this indicates that the product has deteriorated. Real French cheese comes only with a creamy taste. Other species, with additives such as mushrooms, bacon, garlic, can not be called Camembert. The taste of the delicacy is spicy and islandy, with a faint cream flavor. At the same time, the middle of the product is soft, and the mold crust is dense.
What is the difference between brie and camembert cheese
Outwardly, both types of product are similar – there is white mold on their surface. What is the difference between brie and camembert? The main feature of Camembert is a higher fat content and a soft consistency. So, even at room temperature, the treat begins to melt quickly inside. Brie cheese and Camembert are also distinguished by their shape: the former is triangular, and the latter is round. Camembert crust has a sharper taste and a bright egg-mushroom aroma. Smells of cheese also have a difference: brie flavor is more like ammonia, and the mold surface is almost tasteless.
Camembert cheese benefits
Useful properties of the product are explained by its composition: the cheese has a lot of vitamins, amino acids, trace elements. Nutritionists are advised to include the variety even in the diet of those people who cannot tolerate lactose, since there is very little in Camembert. To strengthen health and prevent the development of various diseases, a person should eat only 20-50 grams of the product per day. What else is Camembert cheese good for:
- the delicacy contributes to the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, provides the prevention of cardiovascular pathologies;
- thanks to phosphorus and calcium in the composition of the product, it is able to strengthen the skeletal system, fractures, arthrosis, etc. are prevented;
- since cheese mold includes substances that produce melamine, eating goodies helps protect your skin from sunburn;
- Camembert has a positive effect on the condition of the teeth, prevents the onset of caries.
Calorie blue cheese
Among the mass of varieties of the product that are produced with mold, Camembert stands out. In the process of making this type of cheese, porcini mushrooms of the genus Penicillium candidum and Penicillium camemberti are used. The calorie content of blue cheese is approximately 300-340 kcal per 100 grams of delicacy. However, the nutritional value and calorie content of a dish may vary depending on the cooking technology and ingredients used..
How to eat Camembert cheese
Since cheese has a high fat content, it freezes at a low temperature, becoming hard like butter. If you serve a treat in this state, the taste and smell of the treats will be indistinguishable. How is Camembert? You need to eat cheese in a thawed form, having previously taken it out of the refrigerator and cut it not into thin slices, but into portioned ones (like a cake). Before you eat Camembert cheese, you need to give the delicacy time to reach room temperature. What is Camembert eating with? The table is served with nuts, fruits, fresh baguette. It is appropriate to add fresh herbs and rose wine to the treat.
Camembert at home
The product is prepared easier than hard grades, which involve a long processing of the granular mass, a long process of oxidation and push-ups under high pressure. To make Camembert at home, you only need milk, a mesophilic type of starter, salt and rennet. In this case, the basis is better to purchase from farmers who graze cows in the meadows. Cheese from such milk will come out much tastier and healthier. For the delicacy to ripen, the refrigerator should have about 11-13 degrees of heat and air humidity of 85-95%. How to cook Camembert white cheese:
- milk is poured into a pan, put on fire and warmed up to 32 degrees;
- at ? Art. water dissolves mesophilic yeast;
- then pour the leaven into warm milk, mix the mixture and sprinkle its surface with white mold and Geotrichum Candidum (both on the tip of the knife);
- the powder should be absorbed into moisture, after which the mixture is stirred, moving a spoon from the bottom up, distributing throughout the volume of milk;
- then 10 mg of calcium chloride are added to the cheese base;
- after 10 minutes, 1 gram of milk-clotting enzyme dissolved in 50 ml of water is sent to the container;
- having mixed, the mass is left for 40 minutes (during this period the product becomes dense, jelly);
- then the cheese is cut into small cubes, allowed to stand for 8 minutes, so that the glass is excess liquid and re-warm the mass to 32 degrees, mixing (it is better to use a ceramic or iron spoon);
- the grain is allowed to infuse for 20 minutes, after which the whey is poured into a separate container, and the cheese mass is distributed in forms, taking it by hand or slotted spoon;
- they give the necessary shape to the basis, compressing the grain and leaving it for a couple of hours, after turning the cheese on the other side (so the mass gradually slides down and even more compacted under its own weight);
- the product is turned over every 30 minutes for 4 hours;
- after camembert, they leave to ripen in a plastic container covered with paper napkins (a tray is placed under them to collect excess fluid);
- as the paper gets wet, the napkins are changed, the heads of cheese are turned over every day;
- after 2 weeks, mold covers the entire surface of the product, then the cheese is wrapped with paper and left in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks until fully ripened.
Camembert cheese price
An authentic product is produced in the provinces of France, so it’s worth buying cheese, on the label of which this country appears. To verify the authenticity of the Camembert, check the presence on it of characteristic strips that are imprinted on the cheese when it ripens on the grills. Experts recommend choosing young varieties covered with a light shade of mold and having a delicate aroma. The approximate price of Camembert cheese, which is sold in Moscow, is (per head):
- for young cheese – about 250 rubles;
- for a mature product – up to 350 rubles;
- for cheese with a long ripening period – about 500 rubles.
Camembert Cheese Recipes
Gourmets love to eat a delicacy, washed down with light wine, then you can feel the whole bouquet of cheese tastes. We especially respect Camembert in France, where it is served together with fresh bread and used to prepare various salads, sauces, first courses, desserts. Often recipes with Camembert cheese involve baking the product, while it becomes slightly viscous, the taste and aroma are softened. A great option for using cheese is to cook all kinds of pies, casseroles, pizza, sandwiches, etc..
Fried Camembert cheese
- Cooking time: 15 minutes.
- Servings Per Container: 3 Persons.
- Calorie content: 291 kcal / 100 g.
- Purpose: appetizer.
- Cuisine: French.
- Difficulty: easy.
It turns fried Camembert cheese soft inside and dense, crispy on the outside. The dish attracts many with its mouth-watering crust and incomparable aroma. Serving an appetizer is possible with different sauces, but it is ideally complemented by a sweet and sour refreshing cranberry sauce. This sauce well emphasizes the delicate creamy taste. Cooking takes a minimum of time, and you get an exquisite dish of French cuisine, which you can treat guests who suddenly arrived.
- flour – 70 g;
- Camembert – 0.2 kg;
- salt, thyme, black pepper;
- vegetable oil;
- breadcrumbs – 70 g.
- Start cooking with the fact that the cheese is cut into small portioned triangles.
- Beat the egg with a whisk / fork, and pour the flour, breadcrumbs into different containers, season them with spices.
- Using tongs, dip each cheese piece first into the egg, then into the flour, again into the egg and crackers.
- Place cheese on a hot frying pan with butter, fry on each side for 2 minutes and put on a napkin to remove excess fat.
- Serve the parts with warmed sauce.
- Cooking time: 15 minutes.
- Servings Per Container: 4 Persons.
- Calorie content: 110 kcal / 100 g.
- Purpose: appetizer.
- Cuisine: French.
- Difficulty: easy.
Fresh, very light and tasty salad will perfectly complement any holiday or family dinner. In addition to the main ingredient, the dish contains greens (you can experiment by adding arugula, iceberg, frieze or root), avocado and pear, while the fruit is better to choose ripe and sweet. Standard dressing perfectly sets off the taste of greens and cheese. The details and photos below describe how to prepare a salad with Camembert cheese.
- Camembert – 125 g;
- fresh sweet pear;
- avocado – 1 pc.;
- green salad – 1 bunch;
- half a lemon;
- olive oil – 3 tbsp. l .;
- Cut the peeled avocado into strips, process with lemon juice.
- At the pear, remove the peel, core, then chop the fruit into thin strips and also sprinkle with citrus juice.
- Mix the ingredients with cheese cubes in a deep salad bowl.
- Rinse the greens thoroughly, tear it with your hands, send to the rest of the products.
- Add oil to the appetizer, salt and serve immediately.