The content of the article
- Why do things mold
- The best ways to remove mold from clothing
- Add bleach when washing
- Washing clothes with a borax
- Vinegar application
- Soaking clothes in soda solution
- Lemon Juice Processing
- The use of hydrogen peroxide
- Professional dry cleaning
- Useful tips for processing clothes from mold
Black or gray spots on fabrics that have a musty, unpleasant odor threaten human health. Microscopic fungi cause mold. They form a visible coating on any surface, including clothing. The spread of the fungus destroys the fibers of the tissue, stains appear, which are difficult to remove. If you wear moldy things, skin irritation, dermatitis, allergies, headaches and decreased immunity are possible. Stains urgently need to be removed. There are home and professional ways to do this..
Why do things mold
If the clothes are wet and remain dry for a long time, fungi can multiply on them. Sometimes after 2-3 hours things start to smell unpleasant, and after a day characteristic dark spots appear.
The main causes of the spread of fungi:
poor ventilation or humid indoor air;
- wet clothes lie in the washing machine for a long time;
- storage of clothes that are not completely dry;
- neglect of washing clothes soaked in sweat.
The best ways to remove mold from clothing
To remove dark stains caused by a fungus at home, apply:
bleaches and borax;
- vinegar or lemon juice;
- baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
All these tools for the destruction of mold from clothing penetrate into the fibers of the tissue, kill the fungus. To remove stains, it is better to use hot water, which destroys spores. If home methods do not work, you should consult a professional dry cleaning service..
Add bleach when washing
Before using this anti-mildew agent on a fabric, make sure that the “Do not bleach” warning is not on the label of things. To remove stains, “White”, Vanish, Oxy Crystal or other chemicals are suitable. Some products change color, so it’s better to use them only for white fabrics..
Mode of application:
Put things in the washing machine, add powder.
- Select an operating mode, wait until the tank is full of water.
- Pour in about 50 milliliters of bleach. The amount of substance and concentration must be clarified in the instructions for the tool.
- After washing, remove items, hang to dry.
Mold stain remover can be used for soaking. Add 1 tbsp to 1 liter of water. l bleach, leave things for 2-3 hours. Check that the fabric does not begin to lose color. After soaking, send the laundry to the machine, add the powder, set the desired mode.
Washing clothes with a borax
This natural substance does not emit toxic fumes. The drill can be used to remove mold stains from fabrics made of cotton and other materials manually or by machine..
Dissolve 2 tbsp. l borax in 300 ml of hot water.
- Soak things with mold, soak for 3 hours.
- Wash laundry using laundry soap.
- Rinse thoroughly, hang in a ventilated room or outdoors.
Put things in the washing machine.
- Add 100 g of borax to the right amount of powder..
- Dry your laundry after washing.
This safe product will help get rid of mold on clothes, eliminate unpleasant odors. Vinegar kills fungal spores, stops their spread.
Mode of application:
Put things in the car, add detergent.
- When the tank is full of water, pour 100-200 ml of vinegar.
- Wait until the wash ends, hang the laundry.
To remove mold from the fabric, you can use pre-soaking:
Add 1 cup of vinegar to 10 liters of water, leave the laundry in the solution for 1 hour.
- Wash things using powder or laundry soap.
- If the first time to cope with the fungus did not work, repeat the procedure.
Soaking clothes in soda solution
This method is suitable for white, colored, natural and synthetic fabrics. Soda creates an alkaline environment that is harmful to fungi..
To remove mold stains:
Add 1 tbsp. l soda to 300 ml of water, stir until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Pour liquid into spray bottle.
- Spray on stains.
- Use a brush or sponge to rub the compound into the fabric, let it dry.
- Mix 0.5 tbsp. l soda with the same amount of vinegar and 1 liter of water.
- Soak things in this solution, wait 20 minutes.
- Machine wash.
- Take it out, hang it on the dryer.
Lemon Juice Processing
An acidic environment is harmful to fungi. Squeeze the lemon juice on the mold spot, leave to dry in the sun. If this is not possible, cover the area infected with the fungus, cling film, wait 1-2 hours. Then wash and dry the laundry.
The use of hydrogen peroxide
This substance helps to remove mold from things, because it kills fungal spores. To remove stains:
To 500 ml of water add 1 tbsp. l hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak the laundry, hold for 30-60 minutes.
- Hand wash or machine wash, hang on a dryer.
Professional dry cleaning
If it was not possible to remove mold from clothing using improvised means, refer it to professionals. Dry cleaning uses organic solvents and elevated processing temperature. There they will quickly remove stains from things, relieve linen of unpleasant odors. Do not forget to look at the label – it is important that the fabric can withstand dry cleaning.
Useful tips for processing clothes from mold
Before starting the action, wear gloves, a respirator so that fungal spores do not get into the respiratory system and skin. These funds will protect during the preparation of a mixture of bleach, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide.
- If chemicals get on your skin, flush them with running cool water.
- Do not use bleach to treat wool or silk..
- To remove stains, use a water temperature of 60–70. In doing so, pay attention to the recommendations that are indicated on the labels of things.
- Better to have two full wash cycles..
- Hang clothes in the sun. Ultraviolet radiation helps to cope with the fungus, whiten mold spots.
- Do not store dirty laundry with clean. You can bring bacteria, fungi from the street and infect washed clothes.
- If it was not possible to remove the unpleasant odor, soak things in a solution of baking soda and vinegar, then wash and dry the laundry again.