The content of the article
- What is polymer clay
- What can be molded from polymer clay
- Polymer Clay Ideas
- How to sculpt polymer clay
- Sculpting techniques
- Bonding parts
- Safety precautions
- DIY polymer clay crafts
- Polymer Clay Crafts for Beginners
- New Year crafts
- Children’s crafts
Recently, DIY products are in great demand. Modeling from polymer clay and cold porcelain is very popular, such crafts with the help of master classes and even without tools will be obtained from any novice needlewoman. In order for the finished product to turn out to be of high quality, it is necessary to observe a certain technique and sequence of actions.
What is polymer clay
This substance was created artificially by the German woman Fifi Rebinder to create heads for handmade dolls. Polymer clay for modeling has a specific herbal odor, contains plasticizers, which give it plasticity. When baked, they are absorbed, the mass hardens and can no longer change its shape. Polymer clay (or plastic) can be of two types: self-hardening and thermoplastics.
The latter requires heat treatment, but you can fashion anything from it – from small parts to large figures. Self-hardening material dries naturally in the sun, it will take at least a day. If you have not heard about the properties of clay before, then know that after drying the finished product is slightly reduced in size, the surface is uneven, but it can be drilled and sawed. This type of material is more suitable for sculpting dolls and other large crafts. Keep the mass in a sealed package.
What can be molded from polymer clay
A polymer clay molding opens up great spaces for imagination. You can do anything you want: from exquisite jewelry to handmade dolls and figurines. Due to the unique properties of plastics, working with it is easy and simple. Some types of thermoplastics are able to imitate the properties of various natural materials: stone, wood, metal, fabric. It is better for beginners in modeling to start with simple techniques, techniques, gradually moving to more complex.
Often, clay, sculpt jewelry, jewelry, key chains, pendants, souvenirs, fridge magnets. Plastic is not toxic, so it can be used in games with children. The kid is easy to teach making vegetables, fruits, simple flowers. More experienced needlewomen sculpt complex polymer clay products, such as doll heads, arms and legs. Mass properties make crafts as similar and realistic as possible..
Polymer Clay Ideas
The inspiration for creating masterpieces from polymer clay can be found in various sources. There are special publications on sale that teach such modeling. There you can find a lot of useful information, step-by-step instructions and many options for crafts. Modern needlewomen find ideas for sculpting on the Internet, where there are photo / video instructions with a detailed description of actions.
How to sculpt polymer clay
For creativity from polymer clay, special skills are not needed, because the mass is similar to clay. In her hands she becomes soft and supple, ready to create any crafts. To make the product beautiful, possess durability, choose high-quality material for creativity. There are many types of polymer clay: Sculpey, Cernit, Viva Pardo, Deco (Japanese), Kato Policlay, Sonnet, Pro, Flower (sold in sets) and others. Most decorations are made from clay Decoclay and Fimo.
Tools for polymer clay can be purchased at any store for creativity and needlework. Some items can be replaced with improvised materials, but without some special tools can not do. Before you begin, you need to prepare for the process. You will need:
- Large glass or plastic worktop.
- PVA glue. It is useful for connecting parts of thermoplastics with each other..
- Sharp knives, can clerical.
- Sandpaper to eliminate roughness.
- A piece of suede fabric that gives shine to the finished product.
- Toothpicks, rolling pin.
- Cutters – special molds for cutting figures.
- Extruder rolling pin.
There are several popular techniques that are used in creating crafts from different types of plastics:
- Smooth transition. The method consists in mixing two different colors..
- Sausage (sape, cane, millefiori). Several layers of different polymer clay are connected, and then the mass rolls into a roll.
- “Kaleidoscope”. Multilayer, using the kaleidoscope technique, the pattern is symmetrical, multi-colored..
- Watercolor. Smooth color transition technique.
- Filigree. Complex, requires professional skills, patience.
- Salt technique. Salt is used in the molding to add texture to the creation..
- Mika Shift. Creates a 3D effect.
- Mokume Ghana. It consists in layering several layers of plastic clay of different colors.
Some parts need to be glued together after firing, in order to avoid damage during baking. Use liquid or gel glue for this purpose, it is better if it is quick acting and seizes in 15-20 seconds. So you will have the opportunity to adjust the details as best as possible to each other. Do not apply glue in strips so that there are no smudges, do it in the form of separate droplets.
This process requires compliance with certain conditions. The most important thing is to adhere to the baking temperature, which is indicated on the packaging by the manufacturer. If you violate this indicator, the product may not bake or change color. It is better to bake the mass in the oven on a ceramic tile or a regular baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Small parts need to be pricked with a toothpick, mounted on a ball of foil, so they are better baked. Flat parts are laid on a flat surface..
Complex crafts can be baked in several stages, for example, if they are made using the filigree technique. Each stage lasts a certain amount of time (from 1 to 15 minutes), and the total duration of the process can take up to half an hour. It must also be remembered that in its raw form the material is not toxic, but during heat treatment it exudes an unpleasant, harmful smell. Observe safety precautions: ensure the ventilation of the room, remove food from the kitchen, wash the oven after firing.
Finished products are coated with a special varnish that gives them a finished look. There are varnish matte and glossy, they need to be selected based on the desired effect of your crafts. Many plastic manufacturers also make varnishes, so you can buy products of the same brand. It has a composition that does not fade over time and does not begin to stick to your hands. Some needlewomen varnish their creations with varnishes for wooden floors on a water basis. The main thing is that they do not contain latex, which is incompatible with thermoplastics.
You can apply varnish with a brush, but it’s better to “put” the product on a toothpick and dip it in the liquid completely, scrolling it around its axis. So the substance is distributed evenly, its excess amount drains. Next, a toothpick with a craft is inserted into a piece of foam (or other material), left to dry. If after a time a drop of varnish forms at the bottom, it must be carefully removed. Crafts must be covered in several layers, each of them drying a certain amount of time (indicated on the package), sometimes this time is several hours.
Work with any material, even food, has its own safety rules. If you decide to sculpt from plastic, observe the following precautions:
- After sculpting, be sure to wash your hands with soap, and it is better to work with rubber gloves.
- Do not burn the mass in the oven where you are cooking. If there is no other, and you have to do it, wash the oven thoroughly and ventilate well.
- Observe the baking temperature, and if the material is burnt, be sure to ventilate the room and wash the oven.
DIY polymer clay crafts
Having prepared all the necessary materials, tools, you can begin to create different masterpieces. Browse through a few simple modeling lessons and start with the basics, moving on to complex crafts with specific skills. Over time, this fascinating hobby can grow into a small business that generates good regular income..
Polymer Clay Crafts for Beginners
For those who have basic knowledge and start working with plastic for the first time, a simple master class on modeling polymer clay from a clay magnet to a refrigerator will help:
- Stock up: self-hardening polymer clay of pink, yellow, white, green, lime flowers, soft magnet, acrylic paints, glue, scissors, toothpick, beads.
- Roll small balls from yellow, white, pink polymer clay, form a droplet of them, cut the thick edge with scissors into 4-5 parts.
- Flatten them, give relief with a toothpick. You will get flowers.
- Form droplets from the material of green shades, flatten them, make streaks a toothpick. It will be leaves.
- We make the buds: we squeeze the stripes on a white droplet, imitating unblown petals. Wrap the bottom of the workpiece with a piece of green mass..
- Paint the magnet with a suitable shade and glue the blanks on it, creating a composition. Complete it with decorative beads. Leave to dry completely..
New Year crafts
An excellent New Year’s gift will be a magic ball made at home from polymer clay:
- Prepare: a small transparent jar of spices with a twisting lid, plastic (white, black, red, pink, beige), sparkles, glitter, glycerin, vodka, pin, glue.
- Roll up 2 white balls of different sizes, put them on a pin (thin wire) to make a snowman.
- Make eye cavities, insert 2 black balls there. Insert a red plastic carrot into the nose recess. Draw a smile.
- Roll 4 white balls, 2 flat on one side – these are the legs. From the rest, make extended droplets – these are hands. Assemble a snowman.
- Roll out 2 thin long sausages from beige, pink polymer clay. Twist them with a plait. Form a scarf and a hat for a snowman out of them. In the same way we make candy in the form of a hook (use a red, white mass), insert it into the hand. Bake.
- Coat the lid of the can with water-resistant glue from the inside, put a snowman in the center, sprinkle around with sparkles.
- Pour different medium-sized glitters into the jar, pour 1 tbsp each. l glycerin and vodka, add water, considering that the snowman should still fit.
- Coat the thread of the cap with cream, twist, let dry. Shake, flip.
As a decoration, try making a simple “knitted” bracelet on your hand that imitates real yarn:
- You will need: the basis for the bracelet, plastic of the desired color, liquid gel plastic, extruder, knife.
- Put the plastic mass into the extruder, squeeze. Take 2 strips, twist with a plait. Do the same with the other two strips, twisting them in the other direction.
- Lubricate the surface of the base with gel, attach the first tourniquet, cut the required length. Then attach the second harness as tight as possible to the first, cut.
- You will get an imitation of knitting. Repeat until you knit the entire bracelet. Do the same from the inside (optional). Bake.
Molding toys using thermoplastics is a great pastime with children. Try to make a bug like this:
- Stock up with a baked polymer mass (blue, light green, pink), a brush and 2 small black beads.
- Make 4 large drops of blue – this is the preparation of the legs.
- From a piece of green plastic, form a blank in the form of a bell with a recess inside – this is the future shell.
- Place the legs side by side with the wide part down; Using a brush handle, holding it vertically, make a recess in front of the future turtle – a place for the head.
- We form the blank of the head: roll a ball and a cylinder from blue plastic, connect them. You should have a head on your neck. Attach it to the body.
- Roll up pink balls, flatten, stick to the shell – these are spots. From beads, blind your eyes. Bake a turtle.
In such an understandable step-by-step master class, sculpting flowers from polymer clay is easy and simple:
- Prepare the following materials: white and blue thermoplastics, a toothpick, 2 white beads, a knife.
- Make 2 balls of different colors, connect, knead them until you get a marble pattern.
- Divide the resulting ball in half, fashion each half in the form of a flat plate with 1 elongated edge.
- Roll each in the form of paper pads for seeds, so that the elongated edge is at the top. Pin it, and straighten the free edges, as if the flower opens. Bake, glue in the middle of the bead.
- If you pre-make a hole in the middle with a toothpick before firing, then you can then insert accessories and form earrings from flowers.
Children are very fond of cartoons, so they will be interested in the process of creating popular characters from polymer clay. Let’s blind Krosh from Smesharikov:
- Prepare: plastic (white, mint, red), 2 black beads, a knife.
- Roll up a ball of mint color – this is a blank of the head, separately prepare 6 more small pieces of mass.
- Take 2 small white pieces, roll the same balls, squeeze, attach to the head close to each other – these are whites of the eyes. Stick to them black beads – pupils.
- Roll a small ball of red polymer clay, stick just below the eyes – this is the nose.
- Cut Krosh’s mouth with a knife, fill it with red, stick 2 small white teeth.
- Back to the previously prepared 6 mint slices. From 4 we form elongated droplets, 2 we make flat, we glue – these are the ears. The other 2 are hands, you do not need to make them flat.
- Roll the remaining pieces into balls, flatten a little on one side – these are the legs, glue them. Bake Krosh, cover with acrylic varnish.