- What is a modular kitchenette
- Functionality of mini-kitchens
- Basic kitchen set
- Mixed kitchens with storage systems
- Specialized module
- Fully functional blocks
- Tips for choosing and placing kitchen units
A mini-kitchen is the optimal solution for small-sized apartments, allowing you to maximize the use of space and provide the necessary functionality. Let’s compare the performance of different modules, give tips on their selection and placement in the kitchen.
What is a modular kitchenette
The primary question that arises when arranging a small kitchen is the possibility of placing the necessary equipment and inventory in a limited space. In order to make a miniature room convenient and functional, it is necessary to rationally use every centimeter of the area. Modular mini-kitchens do the best with this task..
You can make such a kitchen to order or choose from basic models that are presented in a wide range by manufacturers of kitchen furniture.
A mini-kitchen is a block system for organizing space, which includes household appliances, communications, cabinets and shelves. Together, the modules form a compact work area and allow you to carry out various processes for cooking.
Functionality of mini-kitchens
Basic kitchen set
The most modest sets related to economy-class kitchens occupy an area of 0.5-1 m2 and have a basic configuration:
- sink with mixer;
- an electric hob for 1–2 burners;
Convenient to use multifunctional transformer blocks. When folded, such a set serves as a desk, and, if necessary, transforms into a kitchen module. The most striking representative of the transforming kitchenette is a model from Kitchoo (England).
Advantages of basic modules:
- maximum compactness;
- wide scope (apartment, country house, office space, etc.);
- relatively affordable cost (from 200 euros);
- ease of transportation and installation.
Disadvantages of using:
- no storage space for dishes;
- small working area (tabletop for cutting food, drying dishes) or its absence;
- lack of additional equipment (microwave oven, dishwasher, etc.).
Mixed kitchens with storage systems
An extended version of the kitchenette is a headset with a storage system. Storage area for kitchen utensils at the bottom of the module.
More complex in design – kitchens “mounted” in a rectangular cabinet. Such models take up as much space as the base ones, but they are much more spacious and more convenient to use..
Storage systems are concentrated at the top of the module. On the shelves and on the inside of the doors, you can place dishes, jars with spices and cereals, and on the back wall you can mount a rail for paper towels, cutting boards, potholders and other kitchen utensils.
Kitchen cabinets provide space for a cooker hood, microwave oven or oven.
Advantages of a headset with storage system:
- there is no need to separately purchase shelves and cupboards;
- wider functionality – the module can be supplemented with the necessary equipment;
- some models look like a regular cabinet and can be placed in any part of the room where there is a connection to communications.
Among the disadvantages are:
- lack of countertops for eating;
- higher cost compared to the basic kit.
The design of specialized kitchen sets is developed taking into account the needs of certain categories of the population. For example, the Chop-Chop module makes cooking much easier for disabled and elderly people..
The headset parameters (height, location of holders and hooks for kitchen utensils) are adjustable in accordance with the needs of the user. The kit provides the ability to cook food in a sitting position.
The kitchenette is equipped with:
- sink and mixer tap with retractable hose;
- dryer for plates and cups;
- built-in grater with a pull-out container;
- a cutting board;
- holders and shelves for dishes.
The disadvantage of the module is the lack of a hob.
Mobile kitchen units can be singled out separately. Miniature mix kitchens include a pull-out hob, mini fridge, oven and dishwasher. There is an insulating layer between the functional units, which keeps heat from the stove and prevents the refrigerator from heating.
The mobile unit can be taken with you on a trip, on a picnic, placed in a mobile home.
Fully functional blocks
Fully functional kitchenettes have a complete range of cooking and eating equipment. The presence of additional gadgets and equipment did not affect their compactness, since most of the models are transforming kitchens.
Advantages of full-fledged modules:
- take up a minimum of space in the kitchen;
- complete set – you no longer need to buy anything from the equipment; some models even have a built-in washing machine;
- a work area is provided for processing products;
- the presence of a table top (usually retractable), which can accommodate 2-6 people;
- a wide range of unusual design solutions.
The disadvantage of this kitchen arrangement is the high cost of the headset. In some cases, it is cheaper to exchange an apartment for a more spacious one than buying a fully functional kitchenette model.
Table. Comparative characteristics of kitchens from different manufacturers
Name ART 306 Whirlpool Cuisine K1 by Kitchoo Compact Concepts, round model Kitchen cabinet “Krokha” Manufacturer country USA / Italy Great Britain New Zealand Russia Dimensions (width / depth / height), cm 100x60x91 130x65x100 diameter: 145-169 cm, height: 235-238 cm 110x71x208 Equipment 2 burners, refrigerator + freezer, sink with mixer induction cooker, refrigerator / freezer, sink, telescopic mixer tap, drawer for dishes stove (2-4 burners), refrigerator / freezer, sink, microwave oven, dishwasher, storage system storage systems, shutters; there is a place for installing a hob, sink, hood, oven or dishwasher Work surface material metal wood polymer composite MDF + Enamel Colour white natural wood burgundy, black, beige, blue, gray choice of a facade to order Price, EUR 400-500 5050 4700-14000 (depends on the set of built-in equipment) 260 (without equipment)
Tips for choosing and placing kitchen units
- The basic set of the module is suitable for those who are used to eating out. It will be inconvenient to cook a full meal every day in such a kitchen – the process will take a lot of time and will require additional equipment.
- For a country house or apartment for a small family, it is better to purchase a kitchen cabinet with storage systems. Models with hinged doors are more spacious, and if this is a solid wood kitchen, then it is guaranteed to serve you for more than ten years.
- A transforming kitchen is suitable for arranging a studio apartment. In the closed position, it looks like a curbstone, so it will organically fit into the interior of the living room.
- The mini-kitchen is installed next to communications so that wires and pipes do not cause discomfort during use and do not spoil the interior of the room.
- If the design of the headset allows, then it is better to place it in the corner – this way the usable space of the room is saved as much as possible.