The content of the article
- Why do not menstruation go during pregnancy?
- Can menstruation go during pregnancy
- In the early stages
- In the second and third trimester
- Why do menstruation go during pregnancy
- How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding
- Symptoms of pregnancy with menstruation
- When to see a doctor immediately
- Can pregnancy persist after menstruation
For a healthy woman of childbearing age, cessation of menstruation is a sign of pregnancy. This happens in most cases, but there are exceptions to this rule. There are situations when a woman is unaware of pregnancy for 3-4 months, because her period continues. Only a doctor can assess the danger of such an anomaly.
Why do not menstruation go during pregnancy?
From a physiological point of view, menstruation during pregnancy is not possible. To do this, remember why menstruation occurs. The uterus consists of three layers, which differ anatomically and functionally:
- External – slimy.
- Medium – myometrium (or muscle). Protects the unborn baby from external influences, actively participates in the birth process. Due to the contractile activity of the muscle layer of the uterus, the child passes through the birth canal of a woman.
- Internal – endometrium. This layer is most susceptible to change. In the first half of the cycle, it thickens, preparing the uterus for a possible pregnancy. Its task is to preserve the fertilized egg until the formation of the placenta. In the event that conception has not occurred, the endometrium is completely rejected, destroying the blood vessels. This is the period. With the beginning of a new cycle, the process of growth of endometrial tissue is repeated.
Can menstruation go during pregnancy
If menstruation occurs after conception, it is clear that endometrial rejection occurs with all its contents, including a fertilized egg, that is, a miscarriage occurs. It is more correct to talk about the occurrence of bleeding, and this is an alarming signal. The attending physician will be able to conclude about the danger to the mother and the child, because menstruation during pregnancy is a deviation from the physiological norm.
In the early stages
The discharge that women perceive as menstruation at the beginning of pregnancy is not such. There are several reasons for this condition. Some do not pose any danger, others are a real threat to the mother and child. The causes of spotting are as follows:
- The fertilized egg did not enter the uterus and did not attach to the endometrium (it can be 1-2 weeks in the fallopian tube). Until the implantation of the ovum, the woman’s body “does not understand” that she has become pregnant and secrete another egg. She comes out with the internal mucous membrane. This is the only case when menstruation occurs during pregnancy in the early stages. After the embryo is attached, the periods will stop, but in the described case, the delay will occur in a month.
- At the same time, two eggs matured, fertilization occurred with only one, the other in this case comes out with the inner lining of the uterus. This is another case when pregnancy with menstruation occurs simultaneously.
The described situations are not dangerous for a woman. Scanty periods during early pregnancy (in the first month) are considered normal. Doctors call this phenomenon “washing the fetus.” Small blood clots of red, brown, pink color arise as a result of the formation of new blood vessels surrounding the entrenched fetus. The vascular network near the embryo is fragile and easily damaged, therefore, its particles exfoliate..
In the second and third trimester
The allocation of blood at a later date of bearing a child (in the second, third trimester) is a serious reason for contacting a specialist. Such reactions are not the norm and may indicate pathological processes. In the presence of copious discharge of red or brown color, pain, seek medical help immediately, it is advisable to call an ambulance.
Why do menstruation go during pregnancy
If you experience pain, heaviness in the lower or lateral part of the abdomen, blood discharge (especially severe) at any time, you need to consult a doctor. These unpleasant symptoms can indicate serious pathologies, because there can be no physiological period during pregnancy. They are called:
- ectopic pregnancy;
- detachment of the placenta;
- hormonal disorders;
- internal mechanical damage (for example, during intercourse);
- infectious diseases;
- inflammatory processes;
- risk of miscarriage;
- pathological conditions of the fetus;
- premature birth.
Normal intrauterine development of the fetus depends on the hormonal background. With an insufficient amount of progesterone (the main hormone of pregnancy), the endometrium begins to contract, which leads to a miscarriage, its walls remain thin and the embryo cannot become fixed in the uterus. An excess of male hormones is another reason for the detachment of the ovum and the occurrence of bleeding. To stabilize the condition, a woman is prescribed hospitalization and hormone therapy.
The threat of miscarriage arises not only against the background of hormonal disorders, but also for physiological reasons. Among them, endometriosis (excessive growth of the internal mucous membrane), myoma (benign tumor of the uterus). These diseases interfere with the normal attachment of the embryo, it lacks nutrition and is rejected by the mother.
Bleeding when bearing a child causes premature detachment of the placenta. This can happen at any time. The condition poses a threat to the life of the mother due to bleeding and to the fetus, because the flow of oxygen and nutrients to it stops. Complication has a different degree of severity, but requires immediate hospitalization of a woman and special therapeutic measures. With complete detachment of the placenta, fetal death is inevitable.
An ectopic pregnancy is a dangerous condition in which a fertilized egg develops in the fallopian tube. As the fetus grows, it stretches and the risk of rupture increases. Violation of the integrity of the pipe causes internal bleeding. In this case, the woman needs urgent hospitalization. Symptoms of a pathological condition are:
- pains in the lower abdomen, which intensify as the fetus grows, they are especially pronounced when walking, running, changes in body position;
- dark spotting (reminiscent of menstruation in appearance and character);
- low hCG concentration.
A gynecologist determines the position of the fetus in the fallopian tube using ultrasound and performs laparoscopy (surgery using an endoscope) or abdominal surgery to remove it. At the first suspicion of an ectopic pregnancy, you must consult a doctor. An urgent operation is performed to avoid rupture of the pipe and prevent bleeding.
Bleeding in pregnant women can be associated with abnormalities in the development of the fetus caused by genetic disorders. A non-viable embryo stops developing and is rejected. A similar phenomenon can occur during multiple pregnancy, when one embryo develops normally, and the mother’s body tries to get rid of the second. This happens for various reasons – poor implantation, pathological developmental disorders.
How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding
Only in the first month after conception can there be spotting, but they differ in color and intensity from normal menstruation. The danger arises when the pregnancy is desired, but the woman does not yet know about it. In this case, you need to know the distinguishing features of regular menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy:
Amount of blood secreted
In usual volume
Copious, in certain cases with clots
Gasket Change Frequency
After 4-6 hours
Pain and other symptoms
Sharp, severe pain, weakness, chills
Any bleeding is deadly, and if it occurs during pregnancy, the life of the unborn child is threatened. In some cases, doctors have to sacrifice a fetus in order to save a woman. If bleeding is suspected, it is strictly forbidden to take painkillers and hemostatic drugs on your own. The doctor will conduct an examination, determine the cause of the bleeding and the degree of danger. It is important to remember what caused the deterioration. Blood discharge during the period of bearing a child can provoke the following factors:
- excessive physical activity;
- lifting and carrying weights;
- long drive;
- taking certain medications;
- smoking, drinking a lot of alcohol.
Symptoms of pregnancy with menstruation
The reaction of the woman’s body to the ensuing pregnancy is individual. Some of its symptoms appear in the first month, while others at the initial stage have no signs. It all depends on hormonal changes. After ovulation, the egg is ready for fertilization for 12-24 hours. The first symptoms of pregnancy will begin to appear no earlier than 7-10 days, when the embryo attached to the endometrium. At this time, he begins to secrete the hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin).
With successful conception, the nature of the menstruation will change or they will not come at all. In the first case, you need to focus on other signs:
- during the entire luteal phase, the basal temperature (the lowest human temperature during rest, for example, during sleep) remains high;
- morning sickness;
- breast enlargement, it becomes tuberous, veins are noticeable, nipples darken and increase in size;
- frequent urination;
- increased secretion of cervical mucus;
- implantation bleeding (maybe 8-10 days after ovulation, discharge is not as bright as during menstruation);
- change in taste preferences;
- acute reaction to odors;
- frequent mood swings;
- weight gain.
When to see a doctor immediately
Bleeding in late pregnancy requires emergency medical attention. It must be stopped in a hospital in order to save the life of the mother and child. Do not postpone a visit to the doctor with the following symptoms:
- Strong headache;
- excessive pallor;
- bright scarlet spotting with clots;
- sharp pains, cramps;
- nausea, vomiting.
Can pregnancy persist after menstruation
With a positive pregnancy test, menstruation is not dangerous. This may be in the early stages and has a physiological explanation (“washing the fetus”, implantation bleeding, simultaneous maturation of two eggs, a long stay of the fertilized egg in the fallopian tube). In this case, the embryo is preserved, and the period of intrauterine development proceeds normally.
To exclude the diagnosis of “detachment of the placenta”, other pathologies with the appearance of even minor discharge of blood, it is better to consult a doctor. With abundant bloody discharge in pregnant women, it is necessary to establish the cause of the anomaly. With timely detection of it, doctors conduct intensive therapy to save a woman and her unborn child.